Author Topic: Feathers  (Read 4227 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Feathers
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 01:48:43 pm »
  I keep all my gobbler wings and at least 10 or 12 other gobbler hunters, Help me out when they get lucky.

Although not turkey feathers. I bass fish some nice ponds that have local gesse, They molt in JUNE I'll pick up hand fulls of primarys. Not a perty but works all the same.

Go to your local gun spot and ask around to have people give or sell their wings to you every spring.

Personally I need some snow geese right wing.

I like seeing those white feathers disapeared in brown.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 09:23:47 am »
Here is what to ask for; Cut the wing at the second joint in from the tip, put the pair in a walmart bag, toss them in the freezer, same for any fans they don't want. Tell them; "call me at the end of the season and I will come by and pick them up".

Now, some folk will not put wings in their freezer, I guess they think they are nasty. You have to get these raw wings within a day or so or they will be maggot city and stink to high heavens. The feathers will be just fine unless they put them in a trash bag wet and drive them around in the back of the truck for a couple weeks before they call you, at which point they turn to rotten mush.

I have probably processed over 1000 wings in the last 20 years and have seen it all so I know what to expect.

Some folk will promise you all their wings for life if you make them a bow, don't fall for this ruse. As soon as they get the bow you will cease to exist and the wings won't be forthcoming. A local guy (a preacher no less) and a prof at Tuscaloosa got me on this kind of deal.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 09:31:39 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 10:57:58 am »
Thanks Eric, crooketarrow!
I love it when a plan B comes together....