Author Topic: Arrow shafts  (Read 6691 times)

Offline cwade3085

Arrow shafts
« on: October 12, 2015, 07:35:26 am »
I know this has prbably been asked a time or two. and im sorry but. probably never will lol.  what is everyones go to arrow shafts. or or what would be the "best" go to arrowshafts. i always thought being that shoot traditional always used cedar shafts. but have recently noticed alot of people shoot bambo/cane shafts or other kinds of wood shafts. do anything trump over the other? or one better than the others.

Offline jeffp51

Re: Arrow shafts
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 08:05:23 am »
hard to beat bamboo from the big box home improvement stores. tough, affordable, and they stay straight and are forgiving as to spine.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:44:54 am »
River cane is my favorite, but I also use gray dogwood shoots, Sitka spruce, and tonkin cane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 01:30:06 pm »
For primitive arrows I like sourwood shoots, red osier dogwood and different canes. For other arrows I like poplar, Port Orford cedar, Sitka spruce and Douglas fir.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 02:51:06 pm »
I like parallel turned shafts anymore. I prefer to spend my time working on bows rather.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 09:36:50 pm »
Natural shoot and cane shafts are my favorites. They have a natural taper so that are generally very spine tolerant. I use Chinese privet, dogwood, arrowood viburnum, some sourwood, and of course River cane and Japanese arrow bamboo.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline cwade3085

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 02:04:33 am »
thanks guys

riverrat

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 09:19:13 am »
wish i could find a nice section of hickory. if i had hickory accessible id split it out and make shafts. but what i have is shoots lol. they work. but take a lot of straightening. i do have willow available. was thinking on drying a big section of trunk out. i read itll make decent shafts but it warps as well. shoot shafts are easy to make. so its kind of a toss up if the willow will need straightening periodically anyhow. Tony

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 10:09:48 pm »
Rat are you in Ohio like your profile indicates? If so, you should be able to find hickory at any of your local hardwood mills. If you're looking for a 36" flawless log and not dimensional lumber, I'm sure I can find one with a little searching. You'd just have to come up to Erie to pick it up. Both of the properties my family hunt on are being logged this winter. I've seen big hickory trees in both spots. Those loggers leave all kinds of useful wood laying around. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline jayman448

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 01:41:18 am »
I wish i had cane growing near me. I have been using rosehip shoots. Seem to be tough and easy to straighten.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 03:30:10 am »
I admire a good cane arrow, but the lately I have gone back to Port Orford Cedar.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 01:07:37 pm »
Tonkin bamboo for me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 02:00:11 pm »
I didn't read all the replies, but I agree w/ PatB and Mullet. Cane is hard to beat, osier makes a killer arrow that is heavy. I also use Multafloral rose and hazel, both lighter shafts. Have a gooder, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

riverrat

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 07:13:11 pm »
Dakota Kid, thanks for the offer. i can probly find some hickory if i look hard. found a tree not that long ago except it wasnt what i wanted for a bow. so i ended up cutting a nice straight piece of log . about 30 in. i need to split it out. but i want to make blunts like in Hamms encyclopedia of NA bows arrows and quivers of the eastern ...out of it.Tony

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 08:46:19 pm »
hill cane or river cane
john 3:16