Author Topic: Tree identification  (Read 2135 times)

Offline James Rodney

Tree identification
« on: October 12, 2015, 04:50:48 pm »
I'm having trouble identifying trees.. I downloaded an app where you take a picture of the leaves, but it gives 25 possible tree types and usually doesn't match the leaf I have. Any suggestions??

Thanks, J

I know this doesn't belong in this thread, I looked couldn't find where to put it.
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline PatM

Re: Tree identification
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 05:02:34 pm »
Put pics on here. We love that game.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 05:06:52 pm »
Remember bark, and leaf photos. Young bark as well as old.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 06:28:37 pm »
Like PatM said, post pictures, I have a nice book.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 07:44:53 pm »
I've got a good book(s) too.  It is a fun game. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 07:57:06 pm »
Go to your local library. Figure out where their field guides are. Check out a couple tree books. If they have some that are specific to your region/state, grab those.

Flip through them over the next few weeks. Learn the trees in your back yard. The next time you go for a hike in the woods, identify as many trees as you can. If there are books that you find especially useful, consider buying them.

Eventually, you won't need the book anymore.

These days I rarely come across a tree I don't know, and when I do it's usually an exotic ornamental or a non-native species. Put me into a different environment and I'm kind of lost, but not clueless. Most of the time it doesn't matter if leaves are present or not. *Some* species I can identify just by the wood, even without bark.

How did I learn?

Basically using the method I described.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 08:27:57 pm »
Give us some pics (love helping with identifying things) and do extensive research on different types of bow wood and identifying them. After researching for about four years and testing my identification skills, I can identify most hickory types, most elms, dogwood, white mulberry and red mulberry (although I still sometimes struggle with separating the two), the oaks, the pines, the maples, and privet on sight without books and other such things. I've left out all arrow woods and non-bow woods but can identify many of them as well. And I still struggle with identifying things sometimes, so go to the library and get to readin :) there's always something to learn, no matter what :)
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 06:18:54 am »
Some state conservation departments publish books/booklets of common trees for your state, usually including pictures of leaves, profile, and brief descriptions. These booklets can be made for little or no cost and can be very helpful.

However PA members DO love this game, so post anyway :).
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline autologus

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 07:26:34 am »
I lived in the woods all my life and I had dendrology in college for my biology degree.  Tree ID is fun.  When posting pics for Tree ID it is always best to include pics of the leaves on the branches to see if they are opposite or alternate and close ups of the leaves to see if the veins are pinnate or palmate.  These characteristics help greatly when using a dichotomous key to do taxonomic identification on species the I am not familiar with.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 09:15:19 am »
...and after the leaves are off a good description of the leaf buds can be a big help too as well as the leaf scars. Even then you can tell if they are alternate or opposite. How the limbs come off the trunk will help too. Black gum limbs come off the trunk horizontally, oaks at an upward angle and sycamores droop downward.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 09:18:39 am »
As soon as i get home, and its not raining... :x  i'll take some pictures of the tree, leaves, bark, and angle of limbs.
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 09:21:41 am »
Yep...I love the ID this tree game!   Fair warning though, I'm the world's worst at actually properly ID'n them so keep that in mind if I hazard a guess. Lol!  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 09:23:30 am »
The Audubon Field Guide for the Eastern US would be a good ID resource for you James.