Author Topic: reducing bow poundage  (Read 2135 times)

Offline feral

reducing bow poundage
« on: October 11, 2015, 02:46:59 am »
This is my 60inch 70lb Osage bow. My original plan was to build a circa 50lb bow. It is 60 inches because that was the straightest bit I got off the tree. But I misread the scale and finished it up.
However it developed a chrysal about half way up the upper limb which I strapped with superglue soaked nylon thread and covered with epoxy. I have been happily shooting it but it is too heavy for my bad arm. I have never been happy with the finish and I wonder if it would too hard to strip all the layers off and tiller it down a bit. As you can see there are a couple of longitudinal cracks near the handle and riser, but I assume that they don't move much, and also a few pins from spikes.
I love this bow, it is rough but my first Osage one and it took a lot to get there. I think I rushed the finish and now that I am calmer I would like to tweek it down and hopefully reduce any disasters later.
Cheers

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: reducing bow poundage
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 03:17:06 am »
It will probably benefit greatly from some rework.
You can improve the tiller to take the strain off the chrysalled area, maybe put a decent patch in there first.
Chrysals go surprisingly deep and a decent patch will be better than the current fix.
It doesn't take much to take off 10#. I often get club members who have bought bows too heavy for them or they bought cheap bows that are well over the stated weight.
A few long even stokes along the whole limb with my cabinet rasp usually does the trick, then clean it up with a scraper etc. Plenty of checking on the tiller and exercising of course. I often find I can reduce the tip mass too. I sometimes end up withvirtually no loss of speed despite dropping 10#
Longitudinal cracks are no problem, just ignore 'em. You should see the sucker I'm just finishing. :o
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/more-molle-pics.html
Del
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:22:10 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline feral

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 03:26:26 am »
A patch?
Now you've got me. The edge started to lift up.
How do I patch it.
tanks

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 05:11:01 am »
A patch?
Now you've got me. The edge started to lift up.
How do I patch it.
tanks
Here's an example from my blog (there are plenty of others on there... the search feature works well)
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/old-friends-with-old-friends.html
I've never done it on Osage, so others may offer better advice.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline feral

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 06:10:49 am »
Ok thanks.
I will have re assess after I've cleaned it up.
Thanks again

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 01:50:02 pm »
If it were me I'd just make a new one. A splinter and a fret, sounds like a ticking time bomb.
I don't want to cringe every time I draw a bow.
Please post some pics of it being drawn

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 01:59:30 pm »
I'd say to take the handle wrap off, take of the wrap over the chrysaled area, sand and/or scrape off the finish and lets see it again, unbraced,
braced and as close to full draw as you can...or like Goat said, start another and mark this up as experience.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 03:29:41 pm »
Im with Goat and Pat. Start a new one.  And put what you have learned into the next one.  You can only get better!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline feral

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 05:33:00 pm »
Yes, I've started another but my supply of osage is limited over here in Oz. Besides this was my first (successful )  ::) osage and if I can save it I will. I'll post some drawn pics hen I can get someone to hold the camera.
Cheers

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 10:26:24 pm »
yes try to save it,, hopefully when you get the weight down and even tiller ,, that area wont be stressed any more... make that part of the tiller a bit stiffer,, just to reduce the stress there a bit more,,I have a friend that fretted his first osage bow, but when he got the tiller even it never got any worse, and is shooting it years later so think positive,, you could always patch it at suggested ,, i have never done that so it is out of my area of expertise,,,but I have saved some bows of a special piece of wood I didnt want to trash,, I am fixing one now that is on its third life,, the wood is from my dads place nearly 30 years ago,,,, I am reducing the weight quite a bit,,,and not going to shoot it that much,, :) it has several issues, checks ,,,borer holes,,etc etc,,, :)