Author Topic: Osage shorty for my step son  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Green

Osage shorty for my step son
« on: October 11, 2015, 07:22:17 am »
My wheel bow shooting step son actually started out with one of my old recurves when he was a teenager.  He killed many an Armadillo in our yard sitting in the garage late at night on his cell phone as teenagers were want to do.   Fast forward another 12 years and he's now got the bug to get back to the basics, and has been bitten by the self bow bug at 30 y/o. 

I had a short (for me at this early stage anyway) stave (57") that I decided I might be able to make him one from, but I wasn't sure of my skills and didn't say a word to him.  It takes me quite awhile to make a bow as I have to think/rethink every major step at this point, but I finally got it tillered out to his 25" draw and put it in his hands to shoot it in.   Judging by the response I got when he'd taken about 30 shots and I asked him to "let her rest", I'd say he likes it.  His "just one more" shot turned into another 30.  Lol.

Bow is 55" NtN, and 45#@25".

Looks to me like the tips are still too stiff.  The bow is 1-2# above weight at this point and unless y'all think it's absolutely necessary, I don't think I'll mess too much more with the wood, and get right to the leather work.  Please lend me your expertise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEYIJ8bCHbU

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 08:24:22 am by Green »

Offline DC

Re: Osage shorty for my step son
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 11:10:38 am »
I noticed that the bow rocks back on release. Does this tell us anything?

Offline Green

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 01:44:43 pm »
It tells me that he "heels" his grip.

Offline Green

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 04:05:45 pm »
Here's a few still shots.  This was the first time doing overlays on the tips.  Mudd gifted me some Bison horn tips awhile back and I finally worked up the gumption to give 'em a go.  I promise to get better.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 06:14:43 pm »
Great looking bow!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 08:08:47 pm »
Looks great to me!  You sure got all the bend out of that wood.  Nicely done.  Josh