Author Topic: r/d glass bows  (Read 2102 times)

Offline jayman448

r/d glass bows
« on: November 13, 2015, 01:06:59 am »
prices aside, just facts, is there any real difference between say a bodnik, a bear or a samic one piece Glass Reflex Deflex longbow? i know its so easy to see the black widows and see the price and assume it must be the best thing going. would one be just as good as the next? ( im deciding on a bodnik quick stick, the bear patriot, or the samic verna)

Offline bow101

Re: r/d glass bows
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 01:35:59 am »
Cant help ya there.  I have shot bears and a few others and they either have hand shock or have that annoying twang after the shot.  >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 03:47:13 am »
The differences can be night & day. Builders that have been in the business for years generally have tweeked their designs - smooth and quiet. If possible, get Your hands on and shoot or read reviews/customer ratings to help make up You Mind. No Bow Primitive or Backed should rattle Your teeth. Sadly the cheaper Londbows will do just that. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 09:40:03 am »
I own a lot of Bears and been shooting them for years. The only hand shock I've noticed is with the ones from the early 50's and that can be corrected with the correct Brace height and a heavier arrow. I have the new 59 remake and it is fast, smooth and a dream to shoot. A little pricier then the other Bears, though.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 02:29:32 pm »
Bear, hands down, is a superior bow to either of the others your contemplating. They don't have hand shock or twang when handled properly. Zippo Zero.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 03:36:17 pm »
Im a novice, but I am happy with my 50# samik sage takedown recurve 130$ ca.  I might be ignorant of hand-shock, so I can't comment on that aspect. With a few tweaks (string silencers,mole skin, electrical tape for sound dampening,fast flight string), you can get rid of most of the twang.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 04:13:49 pm »
I have a bear super kodiak recurve, like pearl said no noise no shock no nothing
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline le0n

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 05:49:41 pm »
I have a bear super kodiak recurve, like pearl said no noise no shock no nothing

i have a 45# super kodiak from the early 70's. it's smooth as silk.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 05:23:41 am »
Bubby - Supers are My favorite model. With the larger riser (more mass), they are very stable to shoot. My Great Northern Ghost is extremely quiet also. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 09:04:16 am »
You can usually call the company and find where thier products are shipped to near you. Go and look at them if possible. I have a Bear Grizzly that is so sweat to shoot. I have also shot the Samick bows and really like them for the money. No noticeable hand shock. You may not like what someone else loves and that is just how it is. Try and find each bow and check them out before buying. I found my Bear at an antique shop years ago and gave $50.00 for it..check Craigslist and you may find some local deals to look at and maybe buy....Good Luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 11:17:50 pm »
Bear, hands down, is a superior bow to either of the others your contemplating. They don't have hand shock or twang when handled properly. Zippo Zero.

Well not so much hand shock or twang but the Whipiness of the limbs if you know what I mean.  I guess it could be something I would get use to although I dont own a glass bow.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline aaron

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 02:11:44 pm »
I have not shot the bows you listed, but in my experience, bows can differ widely. I have a nice custom r/d fiberglass longbow that shoots great. Quiet with silencers on, no handshock. A buddy has a 120 dollar bow that is superficially similar, but has tons of hand shock. I never really felt handshock until I shot his bow. As stated by others, try to shoot before you buy if possible. One of the other variables to consider is the shape of the grip- this varies widely and can effect how a bow feels.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 03:51:56 am »
Years ago, I bought a Martin Longbow (Don't remember the model). No matter what I tried to do to cure it, the hand shock would rattle Your teeth ! Sold it soon after. Bob