Author Topic: white oak  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Jah-army-glows-bright

white oak
« on: November 08, 2015, 10:28:44 am »
Hi everyone. Been awhile since I logged in or attempted to make a bow... but last week I found a beautiful little grove of white oak on my land and decided to give one of them a try. Things have been going good with it, I roughed it out here and there when I found a bit of time and always re-sealed the ends and belly with wax before I set it back to dry in the chicken barn. Well last night I sanded down the back of my bow and forgot to wax it up, now I have five or six barely noticeable cracks spreading from the handle and heading up my limbs a bit. How to I save this bow?

I can take picture of the bow if necessary but I haven't been able to take one that shows the cracks.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: white oak
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 11:12:34 am »
If the cracks run with the grain and dont go off the edge of the bow they will be fine. maybe fill them with some superglue and you should be good to go.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 11:23:47 am »
Thanks, I figured it would be fine but this is the closest to a successful bow I have made and I had to be sure. Will pine glue work?

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 12:16:02 pm »
JAH, when you're seasoning wood, seal the ends and back.....not the belly.  You want to protect the back from checking and let the moisture escape through the sides and belly.
Pine pitch probably won't help too much for the back cracks.  I would also suggest using a thin super glue that will wick down into the cracks and seal them well.  Carry on!
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 12:18:13 pm »
If you are set on primitive glue, hide glue may wick into the crack but my vote is for CA.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 12:23:47 pm »
I'd either use super glue or no glue at all. The checks will not affect the performance of the bow unless they run off the bow.
 Never seal the belly! Only the back and ends.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 01:39:11 pm »
   Your also using some very tough wood...White oak will take some serious abuse ;)
                                                                                                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 04:09:36 pm »
I apologize, I misstyped, I never sealed the belly, just the back and tips. Thank you all for your advice.