Author Topic: First bow -tiller advice  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Lucasade

First bow -tiller advice
« on: October 07, 2015, 03:58:11 am »
So I've finally got round to actually making a bow - this is lilac longbow for my little boy, aiming for 10-15# @18". I spent about 4 hours tillering it the other evening in front of a mirror and I think I've got as far as I can without a tillering tree, which is next on my list of things to make. I just wanted to get advice on where to go next with this, especially as it is a training tool before I start on an 80# hazel warbow.

As you can see in the photos it's taken a lot of set which I guess means I've been working too quick, and I also think the handle is still somewhat stiff. Please don't spare my feelings if I've done a lousy job as I want to learn to do it better. Apologies also for the quality of the video and lack of stills - I'm still figuring out the technology.

https://youtu.be/bYaG9kNJwDg

Unbraced after attacking it:

Before I started:

A couple showing the set:

Thanks as always!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:46:25 am by Lucasade »

blackhawk

Re: First bow -tiller advice
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 07:28:27 am »
Both fades are stiff...and id make a few more bows (hunting weights) first before jumping onto a warbow next for your second attempt.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:01:03 am »
I could not tell anything from the video.  Did you draw it 15"? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 09:33:33 am »
IMO it's easier to make a 40# than a 15#.
The margin of error on V light bows is rather fine.
Looks ok in the vid, maybe a tad stiff on the outer 1/3 of the upper, but to get it flexing you'd prob end up with no wood left.
It looks like a quit while you are ahead job to me :).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 01:15:06 pm »
Thank you all - I forgot to say at the moment I've got it back to 13-15 inches, and it pulls 15# around there. I'm impressed how little wood it needs! I guess I'll see what I can do for the last couple of inches when I've got a tiller tree and leave it there.

I've only got wood (and interest quite honestly) for warbows after this one until a couple of staves are seasoned next year...