Author Topic: Watching the arrow  (Read 1902 times)

Offline DC

Watching the arrow
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:57:10 pm »
I've seen 2 or 3 guys mention watching the arrow as they are drawing the bow. I think they are looking for some kind of movement up or down or sideways to check limb balance? maybe. Can anyone enlighten me. What are they looking for and why? Sorry if this is kind of vague. :P

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Watching the arrow
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 09:09:50 pm »
I never heard that. I draw the bow without the arrow and can sense limb balance. I try to feel the handle pressure. Is it even or is one of the limbs uneven on the draw?
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 10:40:13 pm »
I do the same as George.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 11:05:45 pm »
I've tried all kinds of search criteria and can't seem to come up with anything.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 04:38:41 am »
I do the same as Jawges and Pat, I think I read something like that on here also, but don't remember where or who. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 07:35:43 am »
It was here. DWS frequently mentions watching how the arrow nock at least comes back in a straight line rather than rocking up or down. Steve, too.
  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,46111.msg627870.html#msg627870

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 10:56:19 am »
I was going to say I love watching the Arrow, it's a decent show and I look forward to the next season....   ;P

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 01:05:03 pm »
I was going to say I love watching the Arrow, it's a decent show and I look forward to the next season....   ;P
Good thing I didn't use a capital"A", you would have been really confused :D :D

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 01:08:22 pm »
It was here. DWS frequently mentions watching how the arrow nock at least comes back in a straight line rather than rocking up or down. Steve, too.
  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,46111.msg627870.html#msg627870

I hope they will chime in. What I don't understand is how they tell if the nock is moving up or down? Up or down compared to what? I'm going to re-read that thread.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 01:41:07 pm »
  When I have a bow on the tiller tree, I watch the arrow nocking point to make sure it travels straight up and down. I line it up with my measuring stick and make sure the distance from the stick stays consistent. You have to have the bow set up square to do this or it will not show straight.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 02:41:48 pm »
Do you clamp the handle solidly to the tree or is it free to rock?

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 02:46:25 pm »
Do you clamp the handle solidly to the tree or is it free to rock?

In most cases mine is free to rock

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 02:51:01 pm »
Thanks Steve, I'll watch next time I'm tillering.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 02:55:20 pm »
When I read this thread title I thought you were meaning 'watching the arrow' upon release when the bow is being shot in.  This is something I have done.  If I can get it set-up, I like to have a highspeed/high def video running as the bow is drawn and shot, (nothing fancy - just an iPhone will do it).  If you see the fletched end of the arrow kick any particular direction as it leaves the string consistently, it can tell you much about limb timing and string alignment (...and probably your release too!).  But by this point the bow is mostly tillered, and this would be for fine tuning for hand shock, efficiency of energy transfer and such.

...but from reading the thread, I don't think this is what you were talking about. ??? <
sorry...>

OneBow

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 03:18:35 pm »
Yeah, I had trouble figuring out what the title should be. Watching the arrow leave the bow never crossed my mind, go figure. I like what you're saying although an I-phone is hi-tech for me. I do have a cell phone but it doesn't even have a camera let alone a hi-speed camera. But my grandkids do >:D >:D