Author Topic: Black Locust Borer  (Read 1195 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Black Locust Borer
« on: October 05, 2015, 01:22:17 pm »
Has anyone ever dealt with these pests? I was reducing some staves last night and found these in my wood. I only found a few grubs so far,  it doesn't look like they have made it to the heart wood yet, so if i reduce all that I have it should be good. I think. Or am I mistaken?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Black Locust Borer
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 01:23:48 pm »
I think the locust bores only attack live trees unlike the osage bores.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 01:27:55 pm »
That is the strange part. I have reduced others from the same log and they didn't have any bugs. Tyke and I cut the tree down just about a year ago. I split one of the logs and used some of the wood for my trade bow. that was in February, and it was still very wet at the time. The others have been out of the sun and weather (under an overhang of my roof), but still outside. The positive side is that the Borers don't attack honey locust. So I know it is Black for sure.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 02:49:26 pm »
Are they in the bark, sapwood, or deeper.  I use a lot of locust and leave it stored outdoors, bark on.  I find borer type bugs sometimes, but they have never been deep, and so long as I was chasing a ring, all bugs and damage were removed easily.  It is sometimes pretty yucky on the draw knife, but that is all.  Never looked for type or cause or anything since they were never a real problem. 

Now that I think on it, I never brought the wood inside to season to keep the bugs out -  but wonder now if they got the bugs because the wood was stored outside.  Hmmmmm........

Russ

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 03:08:35 pm »
They are in the sapwood. The BL I have has about 1/2 to 3/4 inch sapwood on it. So they haven't reached the heartwood yet. I'm gonna haul the rest I have split up to the shop and get to work reducing it tonight. the ones i have found all get chopped up with the draw knife as well.