Author Topic: Finally Got Some Sage!  (Read 2350 times)

Offline bowandarrow473

Finally Got Some Sage!
« on: October 04, 2015, 03:01:58 pm »
My birthday was yesterday, but alas, I was in South Carolina hunting. The rain was so bad, the corn we put out was floating around with frogs sitting atop it, so needless to say, we didn't see anything. But when me and my father walked through the door, disgruntled by our lack of fresh deermeat in the freezer, what did I find sitting atop the counter? Why, an Osage stave of course!

I'm wondering what would be the best design for a stave of this sort, having never laid my hands on a piece of Osage, I am inexperienced with this wood and would like recommendations on design and maybe a few tips on working the wood. If anybody has any pointers, I would love to hear them :)
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Finally Got Some Sage!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 03:41:27 pm »
The stave is very clean, it has two pin knots that will be in the final bow and one off to the side that will most likely be cut out. There is some reflex on one side and then a deflex curve about 1 foot from the tip.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 04:12:24 pm »
Osage will make any style of bow. Those are some nice rings so it will be easy to chase.
There is COUNTLESS Osage bows posted here with dimensions also posted, do a little searching and
I'm sure you'll find a bow you want to copy

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 04:15:32 pm »
I know nothing about Osage except what I've read here but that early/late wood ratio looks awesome.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 05:54:37 pm »
How long is the stave?  Like goat said, you could build anything you want with that stave. What is your draw length, what draw weight?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 06:10:06 pm »
The stave is 70in long, I draw 26in and my target weight is going to be #50. I was thinking of building a stiff handled bow, 1.5in out to mid limb and taper to 3/8in nocks, I dont want to go any shorter than usual so I was thinking around 66in.

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 10:33:13 pm »
For a 26" draw 66" ttt is a stitch on the long side. You could easily get away with 64" and still have a stiff handle.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 04:36:38 am »
Nice looking stave, as was said, anything you want is in that piece of wood. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 08:02:25 am »
I agree with what some others have already stated. Anything your heart desires from that exceptionally nice orange stave. Someone must like you a lot because that's one hell of a nice birthday gift. Looks like it should be an easy one to work to a clean back on. Keep us posted on your progress.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 08:15:53 am »
It's a few bows down in the pecking order but I should be done with it by Christmas. Can't wait to get into it! I talked to my dad last night, and he does a lot of traveling to the Midwest so I asked him if he wouldn't mind seeing if some of the railroad property he goes to has any osage and if any of his buddy's ranches had any as well. He said he would think about it. I have an awesome dad :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 09:59:40 pm »
Heck, you could go 60-62" for that short draw.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?