Author Topic: Silk vs cotton thread for self nocks  (Read 5332 times)

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
Silk vs cotton thread for self nocks
« on: October 02, 2015, 11:16:30 am »
In the process of building some arrows for an up-coming hunt. I was taught arrow building using silk to reinforce the self nock. It there a big difference with that over cotton? Is cotton thread not as strong? Thanks.
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline sweeney3

Re: Silk vs cotton thread for self nocks
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 11:29:23 am »
Both should work fine.  I typically use unwaxed dental floss myself. 

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 12:41:00 pm »
I really dig those asian style bamboo arrows with the silk wrappings.  They just look so classy.  I admire the attention to detail and the ritualistic, almost religious approach they take to traditional handicrafts.  I am sure both cotton and silk will work.  But what you do, do it well.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 02:23:08 pm »
I like silk because it is thinner and stronger. Cotton can be pretty big in diameter, relatively speaking.  Now, I use back strap sinew for arrow wraps and seal it with pitch varnish or super glue. I know some folks use upholstery thread but for me it is too big. I've tried fly tying thread but it always breaks just as I'm about to end it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 02:37:01 pm »
Both cotton or silk will work, but I would prefer the silk as it is stronger. I personally use Dacron B-50 or sinew and they work great.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 03:01:39 pm »
I've used both, but like Pat I use back sinew now.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 05:26:36 pm »
The make a colored flat thread for tying flies. I would say it's equivalent to dental floss the way it flattens out, but it comes in any color you want. The wraps are smooth and seamless.

I've also used a lot embroidery thread because I had a ton of it given to me. It works just fine, but for looks I prefer the fly tying thread.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 07:07:46 pm »
You can also get Kevlar fly tying thread if you're after real strong.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 11:17:07 pm »
Sinew is plenty strong. I chew a strand until it is soft then wrap around the point and down the shaft about an inch. Once that's done I lick my fingers and twist the shaft with fingers on the wrap to smooth it out. Once that's done you can hardly find the tag end. After a day or so drying(depends on humidity) I seal the wrap with pitch varnish or super glue. This makes a smooth wrap that is plenty strong. You can seal with TBIII also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 12:46:48 am »
Thanks for the advise everyone! I did use 3/0 black fly tying thread from one of my previous obsessions lol. Soaked in Gorilla super glue. It shall work fine I think. Wrapped the point end of the feathers the same way. My points are slightly big for my shafts, so I may use embroidery thread to taper out to the shaft.
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 04:08:33 am »
Rod winding thread, for wrapping the eyes on fishing rods works very well. Super strong - small diameter and comes in zillion different colors. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 09:10:56 pm »
I haven't had any problems using heavy button thread for Feathers and fletchings. I glue it down with hide glue.  I have used silk but it seems to take forever to finish a wrapping.

(so much for trying to post while using a smartphone)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 06:43:26 am by Buck67 »

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 10:11:23 pm »
Thanks for the advise everyone! I did use 3/0 black fly tying thread from one of my previous obsessions lol. Soaked in Gorilla super glue. It shall work fine I think. Wrapped the point end of the feathers the same way. My points are slightly big for my shafts, so I may use embroidery thread to taper out to the shaft.
On my first arrows I wrapped the self nocks with cotton thread soaked in CA. It was so rough it would peel the skin off my fingers. Sanding it just turned it into fluff. I wipe wood glue on it now. Nice and smooth.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 04:50:24 pm »
I also noticed how rough super glue left thread wrappings. I much prefer fly tying head cement or clear sally hansen hard as nails. I've also had good results with quick set epoxy, but it's more time consuming and smells worse.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 10:45:52 pm »
After you glue the thread with super glue sand it with fine sand paper add a thin layer of glue and sand again. I have seen silk thread come out like a smooth solid band done like this.