Author Topic: Epoxy Resin Horn  (Read 5373 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

Epoxy Resin Horn
« on: September 30, 2015, 10:33:19 am »
I pose this question 'cause I know I'm not the only one out there doing this...   >:D

OK, so last night I made a 2-part Resin pour, using some crushed up charcoal as coloring to imitate black horn for my tip overlays (works GREAT!). Let's say I want to imitate antler, with its various hues of brown, bone, pearl, etc...  How do you do that? What colors do you use? Any pictures?
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Aaron H

Re: Epoxy Resin Horn
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 10:52:43 am »
Crushed up chalk maybe?

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 11:59:13 am »

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 01:59:09 pm »
Watercolor dry powder works great as well as powdered pigment for making wood dye. You can quite easily mimic cow horn with blends of black, white and tan colors.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 02:30:54 pm »
Hm, isn't it a lot easier to use horn or antler. Both is really easy available ...
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 02:35:01 pm »
Hm, isn't it a lot easier to use horn or antler. Both is really easy available ...

It is? If so, I haven't found it, not for a good price anyway. The stores around here (North Georgia) think that antler is made of gold. Besides, I can mimic horn pretty easy, and with the resin, it is really cheap.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 02:36:38 pm »

I would think so but epoxy doesn't smell as bad as grinding horn. :P

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 03:49:25 pm »

It is? If so, I haven't found it, not for a good price anyway. The stores around here (North Georgia) think that antler is made of gold. Besides, I can mimic horn pretty easy, and with the resin, it is really cheap.

Have you tried PetSmart or PetSupermarket?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 07:11:27 pm »
Antler at the Petsmart in Utah is probably $30 a pound.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 09:46:56 pm »
  I have been using the 2 part epoxy putty to form horn nocks on elbs. Side by side with real horn it is very hard to tell the difference. I have only been using black.

Offline dolgima

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 04:55:23 am »
nice idea.  can you upload pictures how to make epoxy resin horn?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:04:01 am by dolgima »

Offline dolgima

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 04:57:59 am »
  I have been using the 2 part epoxy putty to form horn nocks on elbs. Side by side with real horn it is very hard to tell the difference. I have only been using black.

resin and putty is different?  Do I need pigments to coloring putty?  is normal putty  strong enough to make elb horn nock or tip overlays?

can I find any pictures how to make epoxy horn?

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 10:13:16 am »

When using putty do you form the tips right on the bow or do you make them separately and glue them on after?

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 10:15:44 am »
Way easier to form them right on the bow. You get a perfect fit every time. You can buy mold material for casting epoxy so you can get the finished shape right from the beginning.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 11:14:53 am »
I've only experimented thus far, but I found some really nice epoxy in squeeze tubes ,white stuff that looks like pearl when finished. It sticks to horn too, so I made a bi-color horn tip. (Pics tonite). I think it would do well if you can color match it to a horn, and you're worried that the glue lines aren't perfect. Also you don't have to cut into the back of the bow. Just sand it with 120 grit and put it on.

I mix it up (touch more hardener), slap it on with a stick, wait about 5-10 min( a little more sometimes) until it gets a bit hard, and won't stick to fingers. I then mold it into general shape by hand. 

Belt sander to shape it down (after 48 hrs).Then it sands by hand nicely.