Author Topic: Making bows has me collecting vises. I cant stop!  (Read 1115 times)

Offline rps3

Making bows has me collecting vises. I cant stop!
« on: September 27, 2015, 10:39:08 pm »
I started shaving wood on this little red vise until getting my first post vise, then it just went from there. I check craigslist all the time and cant pass up a good deal on these old vises, they are just so cool. I just picked up the big one on Saturday...157#. I think my wife might be starting to wonder when it will stop. There are 5 vises in the one picture.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Making bows has me collecting vises. I cant stop!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 11:54:10 pm »
Nice collection.  This hobby will cause you to collect a few tools.  I've picked up a few vises from Craigslist but nothing as big as you are getting.  I've been collecting draw knives, hatchets, and axes also.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline rps3

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 12:45:08 am »
Yep, can't have too many of those either . Add rasps to that list also.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 08:47:07 am »
The main thing is "American Made", something special in everyone of them because of that fact.

I was at a flea market a couple of years ago when a guy drove by slowly with a huge old Wilton vise on the back of his pick-up. He said he want $35 for it, it probably weighed 100 pounds. I had to bite my lip to keep from saying "sold". I have two vises on my workbench now, no room for another vise, especially one that big.

I looked up that size Wilton vise when I got home, they sold for $450 new.

Offline rps3

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 09:16:48 am »
I would have been running after that truck Eric. One of those closed lead screw wiltons is on my list.