Author Topic: look what i found!  (Read 2179 times)

Offline jayman448

look what i found!
« on: September 25, 2015, 01:30:04 am »
Stumbled upon these beauts while camping. I dont actually know measurements. Theyre both saskatoon. The bigger one goes all the way to the ceiling. Cant wait to work em

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
Re: look what i found!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 06:26:10 am »
Hi Jayman I don't know anything about. But it's a great name and those look like cracking logs! There's nothing like stumbling across great bowwood!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 07:22:18 am »
If ya cant wait to work em ya dont have to....rough em down to near floor tiller,and strap em down till they are dry enough

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 10:43:39 am »
With the bark off, the Serviceberry I have had dried well without cracking (it was cut--not split in half). Leave it as wide on the belly as you can (maybe you have more experience with it than I do, so I'll leave you to it.)

Have fun.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline jayman448

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 12:25:58 pm »
Naw i think illtough it out and let these season right. I tried to debark and all and i had it split all to hell. Id hate for that to happen here. Ive got a shorty in progress that needs some tlc. Shes got one bad kink that i got to deal with and then i wanna straighten er out a smidge in the handle area.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 12:28:35 pm »
Hi Jayman I don't know anything about. But it's a great name and those look like cracking logs! There's nothing like stumbling across great bowwood!  :)

Welll bud whats there to know? Im from north of the border just gettin started in all this, i am slowly getting the hang of knapping, and i ask too many questions. Haha

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 12:46:25 pm »
You can never ask too many questions.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 02:48:32 pm »
And the learnings the most fun part!  (sometimes painful too  ::) but hey!)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 03:21:30 pm »
Don't de bark them, you can mark put your bow and remove belly wood to the pith if it's thick enough. Leave it full width seal your ends and your handle/fades area.
I did on some service berry and ocean spray and have only lost a couple from checking. Always through the handle, but they still make bows