Author Topic: Sweat times  (Read 7048 times)

blackhawk

Sweat times
« on: September 23, 2015, 11:20:27 am »
This doesnt seem to get talked about much,and havent heard much talk about it lately. When making a bow do any of you sweat your bows before applying the finishing touches? If so, how long and why you think that.

To make things clear by defintition of sweat i mean leaving the bow braced for a certain amount of time. I know some dont do it at all,and some will let em sit braced overnight (8 hours or so),and everything in between.

My take on it is if its not a hunting bow i think its not really necessary as a target or flight bow isnt ever gonna braced that long,and wood actually be detrimental in my eyes for a flight bow. But for hunting bows that are gonna be braced for hours or most of the day it makes sense.

And one more thought. How long in hours braced do you think it usually takes for a bow to take ALL its set? Sometimes i have bows that still lose a lil more after I apply my finish. But I suppose thats pretty common for most all bows.

I dont have a set rule or time on how long i sweat a bow. Seems like if its a hunting bow ill sweat it for at least a couple hiurs or so,and will shoot it as well.

So whats everybody elses thoughts,opinions,etc....

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Sweat times
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 11:33:35 am »
I don't intentionally do it very often, unless I forget to pop the string off after shooting. And that has happened a time or four.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 11:42:01 am »
Most of the time at home when I'm in no hurry when I get the bow braced and it's looking ok I won't even start pulling or tiller in it for at least a couple hours. I tend to let it sit for two to four hours a lot while I'm working on stuff

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 11:46:02 am »
Nope. I don't  do it. No need.

I tiller it so that it's balanced relative to my holds at full draw, drawing there several dozen times on the tree following any last corrections, go shoot it 150-200 times and then apply the finishing touches.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 11:47:36 am »
Most of the time at home when I'm in no hurry when I get the bow braced and it's looking ok I won't even start pulling or tiller in it for at least a couple hours. I tend to let it sit for two to four hours a lot while I'm working on stuff

Similar idea, I tend anymore to leave it braced while I tiller as well. But it's kind of random on how much or how long I "sweat"  it in. Pretty much go by feel or gut on most of them. Thanks for bringing up this question Chris.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 12:02:36 pm »
Thats good you brought this up Black. I will shoot the bow in about 30-50 shots.  Check it over for stress cracks and frets or de-lamination.  Then I will leave it braced for 3-5 hours.  Sometimes I will leave it braced 2-3 hours shoot another 40 arrows then leave it braced for another 4 hours.   Just finished my last bow shot it at least 120 times and left it braced a total of 8 hours.  6 one day and 2 hours after tillering.  It has taken all the set its gooona take............One more thing I dont think some guys are bracing their bows high enough, gotta be a good fistmele. ;)

"And one more thought. How long in hours braced do you think it usually takes for a bow to take ALL its set?
3-4 hours

"Sometimes i have bows that still lose a lil more after I apply my finish."
Never found that myself and I use water based clear coat.

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 12:03:51 pm »
Nope. I don't  do it. No need.

So Jeff....what your saying is that Dean Torges is wrong?   Lol   >:D   :laugh:

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 12:11:46 pm »
Bow101...the bows that did lose a lil more after finish were prob ones i rushed thru,and blew a hundred or so arras out of in only an hour or so worth of time altogether,n maybe two hours of brace time tillering it out. I think a bow needs to be braced for a certain length of time before it shows its true position. If not things could change after finish.

It seems like this practice has gone more to the wayside as of late...just wondering why,and if anyone does think there is merit to it anymore.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 12:26:34 pm »
when I'm close to weight i usually leave it braced as much as possible while Im working on it. I used to be more concerned about it but now i just want to get it over with. the sooner I know what the woods going to do, the sooner I can finish her up.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 12:29:37 pm »
What do you think would happen if you didn't sweat it? For hunting, I mean. Are you thinking that after being braced for a long time it might break when you draw it?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 12:45:03 pm »
Not break so much, but change tiller/balance.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 12:46:20 pm »
Last warbow, I deliberately O:) left it overnight ;)
It was interesting watching the string follow drop from about 1 3/4" down to 1 1/8 after a few hours and then overnight right down to 3/4".
Del
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:19:55 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 12:47:12 pm »
I used to always sweat my bows for a couple hours and still do some but once i get to low brace i leave it braced while working on it and when i get to 22" or so i stretch it out shooting it so it ends up braced a lot
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline jimmy

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 12:48:33 pm »
Actually, I've never heard of this until now.  I always exercise my limbs real good when final tillering.  If one limb were to get out of wack over time, it's no big deal, I would just scrape the other to match.  As far as finishes, I never use anything but linseed oil so that's not an issue.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 12:55:13 pm »
I've done it. Just found it unnecessary and of no additional benefit to the time it's spent braced and drawn while being made and shot in.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer