Author Topic: Back for more help!  (Read 3119 times)

Offline JRMakowski

Back for more help!
« on: September 19, 2015, 03:39:58 pm »
Sorry guys for my constant ?'s I got the bow bending a little more even finally, but what i notice is in the re flexed area it doesn't seem to want to bent much at all just thought Id ask before I go to far with wood removal. Ive tried getting some movement there but doesn't seem to change much.
Id Rather Be Lucky Then Good!

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Back for more help!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 03:47:04 pm »
Ive only made a few recurves and the ones that I have made have all had the recurve in them naturally. So im no expert on the subject but I am fairly sure that the recurve areas of the limb will never be totally bending in line with the rest of the bow. If you do tiller them so they bend in the same arc as the limb then you will make that area bend to much.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 03:57:40 pm »
Inner 1/3 is stiff, hinging in the middle, more so apparently on the bottom limb

Offline JRMakowski

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 04:05:22 pm »
Inner 1/3 is stiff, hinging in the middle, more so apparently on the bottom limb

Thats what i see as well I have it marked and haven't touched it in days but cant seem to eliminate it either I figure might be to late, might have firewood soon

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 04:12:03 pm »
The wood fibres in the hinging part may already be to damaged to recover without reducing draweight significantly. Are you pulling to full draw with the tiller like this?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 04:25:51 pm »
could we see an unbraced photo,, thanks B

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 05:23:28 pm »
      I know you are just starting off so I will be direct with you. It will make future bows easier. In the picture you are at full draw with two major hinges in your bow. This bow is hinged too much right now to recover any serious weight. You should never draw the bow any further than what it takes to expose an area that needs work, that might be only 2" draw, always make corrections before you move on. When you roughing out the bow your tapers should be very very minor in thickness, I think this is where you got in trouble, too much thickness taper. When roughing out always leave the outer 1/2 of the limb just a tad stiffer on the long string as it will flex a bit more when you brace it.

Offline JRMakowski

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 05:29:59 pm »
The wood fibres in the hinging part may already be to damaged to recover without reducing draweight significantly. Are you pulling to full draw with the tiller like this?
yes I have exercised the limbs at 28" at least a hundred times (with saftey glasses lol)  that's my draw lenght, at 28" it is pulling 44lbs also it has taken just shy of 2" of set, I feel Ive been defeated this round :(   But I am happy it happend on a 10$ board and not on a $60 Stave I will prob try removing a little more in hopes I can fix it a little.

Offline JRMakowski

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 05:43:20 pm »
ty guys for the advise kinda bummed, but I have learned a lot! prob should have bought a kit first to start off and get the hang of tillering Im very grateful for all the advise that has been given as I truly am green, I will try another might take me a bit longer as opening day here is Oct 1st and all my free time is spent in the woods until Mid Dec. I did Manage to receive a gift from a friend out west and have been shooting pretty decent so I will be hunting primitive this year just not with my own creation.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 05:47:47 pm »
  Stick with the boards until you get the hang of it. Most of us broke or ruined several bows before we got one that worked good. You don't need a kit, you did more right than wrong on your last bow, look at it that way.

Offline JRMakowski

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 05:57:29 pm »
  Stick with the boards until you get the hang of it. Most of us broke or ruined several bows before we got one that worked good. You don't need a kit, you did more right than wrong on your last bow, look at it that way.
Only sad part I see is as far as a Home depot red oak board it was perfect 3 growth rings running full length, Probably only reason it didn't break. But I do sincerely thank you for the advice

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 07:29:04 pm »
since you got a bow, start another board bow now,,,, just make it straight ,, dont heat any reflex or nothing,,,,it will kill a deer very dead,, since you have nothing to loose,,, just go for it,,,, with what you learned you can do it in a week,,,  :)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 08:16:11 pm »
since you got a bow, start another board bow now,,,, just make it straight ,, dont heat any reflex or nothing,,,,it will kill a deer very dead,, since you have nothing to loose,,, just go for it,,,, with what you learned you can do it in a week,,,  :)

+1
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 08:43:45 pm »
Keep it simple. My first bow was a maple board bow. Kept it very basic. I was so scared it would break, but it didn't and have loosed piles of arrows from it. Like BS2010 says, you can build a new one really fast with a board, so giver!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 08:51:15 pm »
Go to the local lumberyard and pick up some hickory, its a great bowwood and is very forgiving. like stated before keep it simple, my favorite stlye of bow is either an eastern woodland bow or an AFB. No recurves, no nothing, just a stave and its natural character.