Author Topic: How come?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline JRMakowski

How come?
« on: September 18, 2015, 08:45:36 pm »
So my question is why does my bow look so different braced the it does on the tillering tree with a short string? Do i need to tiller the braced bow? sorry for the newbie ?
Id Rather Be Lucky Then Good!

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: How come?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 08:51:02 pm »
What do you mean. Are you talking about how the bow looks in your hand or how it looks after jumping from long string to brace?
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 08:53:49 pm »
If you're jumping from long string to brace then it's probably that the short string puts more stress on the outer limbs than the long string. If it's how the bow looks in your hand then it's probably that your tillering tree is not a close enough resemblance to you're  actual draw.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline JRMakowski

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 09:00:17 pm »
yea im going to brace from the longer tillering string so I guess now I just tiller one side for a few.... a lot of learning has taken place over last couple days

Offline Drewster

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 09:35:54 pm »
JR, when you start tillering with the long string, get your limbs bending evenly ASAP without stressing either limb any more than necessary.  Once the limbs are bending evenly, only then start increasing the draw length.  But, DO NOT exceed your final draw weight.  Once you can get the long string moving about ten inches without exceeding your draw weight, then brace your bow about 3".  Carefully proceed with your tillering from this point.  And your long string should be as short as possible. Hope this helps.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 09:36:43 pm »
yes you need to tiller the braced bow,,, dont need to go back to long string once the bow is braced,,,
some will tiller while strung, some tiller unstrung and then string to exercise and see how the bow is going,,,, that is over simplified,, but to be clear, once the bow is braced, the long string is not needed,,,,,,

Offline JRMakowski

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 10:59:19 pm »
ty guys hope I didnt make  a 30lb bow for my first one guess ill find out soon enough. I was hoping for a 50lb but guess my 11yr old could use a bow also  :P

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 11:03:42 pm »
Concentrate on good tiller and forget the draw weight. Without proper tillering you just have a bent stick whether it be 30# or 60#.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 02:42:14 am »
There is a lengthy explanation on this post of my blog:-
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/yew-stick-bow-and-draw-weight-to-brace.html
But one way of looking at it is this.
If you have a metal guitar string fixed to a wall just dangling down and you pull it, you can't stretch it at all because you are pulling in line with the string.
If you have it fixed between two solid points you can stretch it a little with just finger pressure.
It's about the geometry and string angles.
You don't need to know the maths or physics.
You just need to recognise that longstring should always be as short as possible, and once the tips are moving back 6", get it braced.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.