Author Topic: hafting methods?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline sleek

hafting methods?
« on: September 25, 2015, 03:46:54 am »
What ways are there to attach knapped points to a cane shaft arrow?  Footing included?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hafting methods?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 09:20:03 am »
I've only done one or two with footings and don't think a footing is necessary but they are extra work.
  I cut a slot in the cane(I use a bandsaw) then open that slot to accept the stone point with a thin blade knife and sandpaper folded over and over again as the slot opens. Once I get a good fit with the point centered I add the pitch to both and put them together trueing them up as best I can. I do a spin test(tip of point on tip of finger). If it spins true(without a wobble) I wrap with sinew then spin test again. If the arrow wobbles I add a little heat to the point, reset it and spin again. Once everything is good, I seal the sinew wrap. I use either pitch varnish or super glue to seal.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 08:11:36 pm »
I don't think footing is necessary, neither are foreshafts. The cane is plenty strong all by itself. I haven't made more than about 20 or so arrows of river cane but have used alot of Japanesse arrow bamboo and have found the two fairly similar. Just cut a slot right into the cane and then taper the sides and the top and bottom a little and haft away!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 11:31:14 pm »
Here is how I do it. These are hill cane and sourwood shoot arrows with stone points hafted...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 04:57:58 pm »
Thanks guys. Ill be doing some hafting this week.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others