Author Topic: Any idea what this is?  (Read 5251 times)

riverrat

Re: Any idea what this is?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 10:35:59 pm »
can you post a up close look at that bark and the edge of one of the logs ,cut off flush , with bark on it ? thanks Tony

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 10:42:12 pm »
Can you get a better close-up photo of the bark?  Take that photo with you and go walking around your city parks and any woodlots where you are welcome.  Match bark and then get a shot of the leaves.  From the bark close-up and a leaf photo, identification is pretty likely.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 08:36:57 am »
Im 99 percent sure thats hickory.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 09:20:13 am »
I zoomed in on the picture and I am with Cody,looks like Pignut Hickory to me. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 01:30:40 pm »
Im 99 percent sure thats hickory.

As am I, so that means 198% it's hickory.

Offline Ippus

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 03:03:53 pm »
Hickory? That's really cool. I didn't think we had any growing in this area, so that would be a neat find.

I'll have to see if I can get some more pics tonight. I have a larger piece that I cut these from; it wasn't as straight, but you might be able to see the cross-section better.
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline Ippus

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 07:07:05 pm »
Okay, so I did manage to get some additional close-up pictures. The outdoor shots are from a larger chunk of the same log.

Indoor bark close up

Outdoor bark close ups, full sun

Indoor cross-section, w/glue

Outdoor cross-sections

"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

riverrat

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 07:42:53 pm »
hickory , its not elm or walnut.Tony

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 08:32:19 pm »
How about a picture of clean (not rough) end grain and edge grain as close as you can get the camera to focus.

FWIW it's much easier to I'd if you look at the leaves too.

Offline Ippus

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 11:18:25 pm »
Sadly there weren't any leaves left by the time it came to me. I was originally just going to use it for firewood, or I probably would have asked more questions when I got it. :)

I've started peeling it, taking off the outer bark, which seems fairly thin, and the spongy inner layer, and I have some additional attempts at close-up grain shots.

Also, I'm becoming suspicious that there may be some kind of irritant in the bark/tissue I'm removing. That, or I'm getting a cold, which wouldn't be that surprising, either.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 06:46:05 am »
Sorry I pretty sure the 198% is wrong, including me, don't think it's Hickory now, looks like some kind of maple maybe. :-\ Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 08:16:32 am »
  Sycamore?

blackhawk

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 08:43:11 am »
Aint a sycamore steve...

Looks like either red or silver maple to me...but either way its a maple for sure. I dont think its hard/sugar/rock maple..which means its one of the "soft" maples. Itll work for a bow,but its not great or even average bow wood. Go long and wide and keep the weight low-ish.

And whats the discoloration on the sapwood where you removed the bark? Did this wood sit outside for a bit before ya got it? It just looks like it has unhealthy dark streaks on it from here...

Offline Ippus

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2015, 10:40:46 am »
:D The black stuff is where a little paint or something rubbed off the wedge when I was splitting.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2015, 04:42:54 pm »
I feel like the bark is vaguely reminiscent of Manitoba maple. Kind of a weed tree.  It looks like in the original pictures there is a pretty  massive pith channel in those logs, unless I'm not seeing it right.