Author Topic: The First Gizmo  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

The First Gizmo
« on: September 15, 2015, 05:23:37 pm »
I was looking through and obscure picture file on my computer and found a picture of the first tillering gizmo I made. It has changed a bunch since my first attempt. A friend from Mississippi named Daniel Willoughby came up with the idea  to replace the set screws that held the pencil with a 5/16th nut, a much better idea. Another guy suggested cutting the shape to a pyramid shape, another great idea.

Here is the first design;

The latest version;

Stringman

Re: The First Gizmo
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 05:48:09 pm »
It's cool to look back over time and see how things evolve with use. That is really a handy tool to have in your bowyering tool box.

I'm not sure where my inspiration came from, but I have modified mine to be a multi tool of sorts. The body is a flat but has dowels protruding equa-distant from center point on the top side. This allows me to reverse the direction the pencil protrudes from and have a tool that defines the running center point on a stave. Now someone tell me where I saw that, cause Im pretty sure I didn't dream it up on my own.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 05:59:10 pm »
I have made me s a similar tool years ago. But laid it aside, for me only useful for cicular regular tiller on straight bows like ELB's.

I have made another instrument, a kinda caliper also with the nut + pencil thing, this is quite useful for me on bows with changing crowns.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 09:20:24 pm »
I have made me s a similar tool years ago. But laid it aside, for me only useful for cicular regular tiller on straight bows like ELB's.

I have made another instrument, a kinda caliper also with the nut + pencil thing, this is quite useful for me on bows with changing crowns.

Lets see a picture, it sounds cool.

Offline red hill

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 09:28:56 pm »
Strongman, did you get it from Pat Brennan? I have the same device.

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 09:55:26 pm »
Nope I made mine, but very possibilly copied from him.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 11:39:22 pm »
like this... Tis was te first one I made into a centering tool also. I think I gave this to Pappy.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 04:14:54 am »
Yep you did Pat. :)Still got it and use it when the time is appropriate ,like the Gizmo, not good for everything but works very well in a lot of applications.  :) Eric gave me my first Gizmo and many since to pass along. We have given a bunch away at the Classic. Thanks, I am a very blessed guy to have such good friends. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 05:58:52 am »
Mine's made from hunk of pallet wood and a 1/4" t-nut.

... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 10:07:30 am »
So many ideas of things to build!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 11:23:12 am »
PaulnKS gave me my first Gizmo at my first MOJAM years ago.  I don't use it often, but it is sometimes the BEST tool for the job.  I used to use the edge of my furniture scraper for the same function, but the pencil in a Gizmo gives you a very visual queue as to EXACTLY where the issue is.

OneBow

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 04:32:11 pm »
I know mine is a little more crude looking than yours Eric . But I don't know what I would do without it .

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 08:07:33 pm »
The tillering gizmo (and centering tool) took my bow building to a whole new level.  Thanks for sharing this fantastic little doodad with the masses, Eric! 
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 08:38:51 pm »
Do those things really work that good? Would they work on an ELB style bow? Would you need a longer one for a longer bow?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 10:51:35 pm »
Lots of you guys may have come up with the centering tool idea on your own, but the idea has been around for centuries. It's still a good one. Ideas similar to Eric's Gizmo have been around at least since the 1930s, but I think the earlier ideas were unnecessarily more complicate--some used a dial indicator in place of the pencil, for instance.

I think Eric's approach was unprecedented in its simplicity and utility--different from any earlier version I have seen and better.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine