Author Topic: bow #2 knotty elm bow  (Read 1310 times)

riverrat

bow #2 knotty elm bow
« on: September 16, 2015, 12:27:01 pm »
well, this stave has 2 big knots.just past the handle area on both limbs.though its not as snakey as the other bow im working on.this ones going to be 48 in. long 1 3/4 in. at the widest tapering to tips im not sure how i want to make the tips on this one. maybe narrower. when you look at the belly the knots are kind of close to center however on the back they are not at the edge of the bow but close. definitely going to have to be careful once i start tillering.Tony

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: bow #2 knotty elm bow
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 09:35:59 pm »
I just finished debarking and laying out a hickory sapling bow with two knots much like that. Id do 1/2 in or 3/8 in tips
Whatever you are, be a good one.

riverrat

Re: bow #2 knotty elm bow
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 10:30:33 pm »
thats what i was thinking on the tips. i was reading a old post in the archives by a African fella, think he called himself African man or something ill have to go back to look. but anyhow, he did a post on horn nocks/tips. id like to get the string as close to the tips as possible. just makes sense since its 48" tip to tip. ill take whatever length i can get to keep at this length ya know.so im also thinking along that route as well. Tony