Author Topic: chokecherry?  (Read 1842 times)

Offline smoky#1

• Clayton Porter
chokecherry?
« on: September 24, 2015, 10:17:50 am »
can the bark be left on chokecherry as a backing?
smoky, Bassett NE

Offline kleinpm

Re: chokecherry?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 10:52:03 am »
I think you COULD but it probably would not last as long as a bark free bow. Eventually the bark will start to separate from the wood, probably at the worst possible moment.

FWIW I have used CC a couple of times and after a year of bark on seasoning the bark holds on like its superglued, but that is on a stave that isn't being flexed.

Patrick

Offline smoky#1

• Clayton Porter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 12:01:06 pm »
okay, thanks for the information.
smoky, Bassett NE

Offline jayman448

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 12:51:04 am »
Would this separation cause a failure or would the bark just kind of pop off without harming the bow? I was under the impression thats what i can expect to happen with my saskatoon staves

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 03:48:16 am »
The Barks strength goes around the tree, so there would be no advantage for doing it that way. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 07:25:26 am »
The Barks strength goes around the tree, so there would be no advantage for doing it that way. Bob

Winner winner chicken diner....Bobs got it.....the grain in the bark goes AROUND the tree,and not up and down longitudinally  like the grain inside the wood of the tree...;)

Same thing with the birch bark too that u can apply to the back of a bow

Offline smoky#1

• Clayton Porter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 08:25:58 am »
ok, thanks. now i get to try and take the bark off....
smoky, Bassett NE

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 09:00:45 am »
Even if the bark just "popped" off later it would change the tiller. Cherry bark is very strong and I think it adds performance. Adding it later as a backing would take advantage of that performance, even if only a slight bit but also protect the back like a backing should.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline smoky#1

• Clayton Porter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 10:02:13 pm »
ok, i may try that on a future bow, Thanks for all of the great help, i will post pics of the bow when it is finished.
smoky, Bassett NE