Author Topic: Virginia Quartzite Pieces  (Read 5814 times)

PeteDavis

Virginia Quartzite Pieces
« on: September 11, 2015, 06:43:16 pm »

Various

my other pile of 'tweeners

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Virginia Quartzite Pieces
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 08:26:32 pm »
Great haul!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 08:29:12 pm »
Braveheart!
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 11:22:23 am »
Those are very nice points from some reallllly hard to work stone. Quartzite makes rhyolite look like primo material.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 03:04:40 am »
 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 08:22:13 am »
Those are very nice points from some reallllly hard to work stone. Quartzite makes rhyolite look like primo material.

I guess it depends on the quartzite.  I found some a few years ago a few hours from me that was easy to knap and finished up with an extremely sharp edge.  I plan to go back there some day and get more
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 01:33:06 pm »
That looks like it took some skill! I can see the grain! Haha
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 03:43:27 pm »
Is there a Hall of Fame for flint knapping?  If so, I nominate Pete Davis.

Pete is like the Henry Ford of east coast quartzite knapping.  It isn't that he invented the methods as much as improved on them and through online forums and hosting knap-ins has been largely responsible for spreading the knowledge.  A huge pile of quartzite chips is forming up and down the east coast directly and indirectly from Pete's pioneering work.  No doubt, there are others, and all modern quartzite knappers are standing on the shoulders of the early experimentall knappers like Errett Callahan, Jack Cresson et al, who figured out much of what is known on how quartzite works.  I say "how quartzite works" because, for the most part, it is its own animal, and requires tools and techniques different than conventional knapping.  This is not to say that there isn't quartzite out there that a good raw chert or rhyolite knapper can't handle, but pieces like that along the east coast are rare.  I would say the same about the vast majority of the other notoriously hard east coast materials, argillite and pure quartz.  It isn't just that they are hard to flake, they also behave differently than chert (etc.) and there is a learning curve associated with them.

Keith

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 11:40:14 am »
oh oh! Henry Ford spied on his workers, whom
he paid not to drink alcohol. Yikes
Welcome Hummingbird point.
Zuma
PS he cheated a bit at Flint Ridge and knapped
some Chigger Woods chert into "YES" a corner
notched. >:D
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 06:15:45 pm »
Well said Keith. There aren't many to take on the eastern Quartzites. We that do have to learn from each other with so few involved strong ties are built. Pete has and will continue to be on the forefront of this hardstone obsession. We just spent the day together and was a great time. Sorry we didn't hook up Zuma for some time to talk again and seek out some greenstone.

PeteDavis

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 09:31:59 pm »

Nissly made me do it.

PD

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 10:14:04 pm »
I am sorry. >:D  Not!! Pete has made great strides and has assumed sort of  tribal leader position among his hardrock peers.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 10:37:10 pm »
I know it is late but I have to type it.
Scotsmen like Billy Wallace don't choose leadership.
It's genetic. :D
Zuma

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 05:42:40 am »
Quartzite in the sun! Possibly first sung by the Hellgate Davis clan somewhere in da hollar.😎

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 03:05:24 pm »
This is mostly a test to see if I have figured out to work things here.  These examples are from Central Virginia but are representative of east coast quartzites in general.  First is the "C" grade, tough, grainy and with hidden "knots" which are tough areas in the stone that are very hard to flake through.  Lots of this grade was used simply because it is so common. 

This is the "B" grade, usually finer grained, but not always.  The real difference is that it flakes a bit easier and has less and/or smaller hidden "knots".  This grade is somewhat common, maybe one piece in 5 or 10 and is generally what I look for.

This is the "A" grade.  Not quite Hixton of Talahatta, but certainly behaves in a more "flint" like manner.  Usually fine grained, flakes reasonably well and has no "konots" or very small ones.  It is quite rare, and represents the occasional lucky find.

Okay, I think the pictures are a bit small...

Keith