Author Topic: Arrow staves  (Read 2511 times)

Offline DC

Arrow staves
« on: September 15, 2015, 06:05:04 pm »
Instead of spending a bunch of money on gas I went to the log sort and they gave me these.  ;D ;D ;DThe split one is Western Hemlock 35RPI and the standing one(the one eating my hatchets) is Yellow Cedar 56Rpi. Dead straight grain on both. Both about 4' long. The hemlock was tough to split but the Cedar is really tough. Since I stopped heating with wood my sledge and steel wedges have left home. I 'll get them with the hatchets and wedges.

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Arrow staves
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:25:50 pm »
Have fun scraping it down!!!!!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 11:22:41 pm »
Nice, No twist?

I made a couple of red cedar arrows out of some driftwood when I was camping. As long as the grain is straight it splits nice. Yellow cedar is a bit tougher to split and tends to splinter. I find it's best to try and make it into 1 Inch stock (approx) and then turn it into a octagon with a knife then into a hexdecagon. Then hand sand it round.  Sand sand sand. 

Although a router and drill will work good too.  looks like you'll get a couple dozen outta that. 

Too bad firewood permits have a length limit.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 12:22:15 am »
They have a bit of twist but it should work OK. I'm getting a huge pile of wood out of the two chunks

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 06:27:04 pm »
I cut up my log of Doug fir on the table saw to 3/8" then used my strunk arrowplane. Awesome arrows but I wish I'd split it. I don't like more then a couple grain run outs.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 08:21:38 pm »
Just to try I cut some of the hemlock(very green) into 3/8" square and stood them by the chimney. In three days they dropped from about 750gr down to about 600. No sign of warping. So it looks like I can rush it a bit if I want. The green wood just about killed my tablesaw though. I'll either wait a while or go over and use my brother-in-laws >:D >:D >:D