Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Bow designs for cleaner arrow flight

<< < (5/5)

bobnewboy:
My other half's first primitive bow was an ash flatbow. It was well made but unremarkable except that it would match a large range of arrow spines well without any trouble. I put that down to the fact that when viewed from the belly side, and shot by a left hander ( her and me both) the general front/back profile of the bow was an S-shape, particularly at the handle and fades. This wasnt engineered in, it was a result of following the grain when making the bow. Because of the S shape, the string centred across the bow in such a way that there was quite a cente shot effect. The string over the handle/fades looked like a dollar symbol. Perhaps that falls into the point 2 above?

Buckeye Guy:
You may have to make special  nocks to get to the higher draw weights
Bulbous  nocks are easer  for me and seem to have been favored by many indigenous  folks too

I never have done the flight arrows but if you are barrel  tapering  just leave the self nock area thick to form your bulb for pinching, at least that is how I typicaly do them
it really does not take much to make a big difference in gripping power
also pinch between your thumb and the large knuckle of your finger rather than between knuckles or small knuckle
if you do want to do self nocks horn might be a good choice,  maybe Japp would fix you up he likes making nocks from horn, not sure if he has done them for pinch grip
have fun and dream on

Selfbowman:
just pull her back and let it fly is what I have found best so far.. Sometimes you might short draw but even then the relase is pretty clean. But this shooting a long ways is all new to me.
Arvin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version