Author Topic: First Bow Project? Siberian Elm ELB - looking for advice  (Read 8069 times)

Offline Ippus

Re: First Bow Project? Siberian Elm ELB - looking for advice
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 04:25:46 pm »
Man, that's a monstrous-looking log. Better you than me.

I heard from the tree service guy over the weekend: They're dropping a black locust today and I'm going to swing by after work and see if there's anything there I can use.  Looks like I might be giving that a try before I get my hands on Siberian Elm. Any suggestions?
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 04:47:17 pm »
I finished splitting the remainder by myself> No more. I saved 2 staves out of the main trunk to see if I can salvage a bow for the landowner.   Designated for firewood IMO. I much prefer and enjoy working with the mulberry, osage, and black walnut that I have.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 04:58:13 pm »
  I was just reading that the Siberean elm is the weakest wood of all the elms, the chinese elm being the strongest. Let us know how your bows come out. We have Chinese elm where I live and I have always found it exceptional wood but nearly impossible to split.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 06:10:19 pm »
That is an issue here in Utah, people call it Chinese elm, even though it is Siberian elm. It is very tough to split.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 07:40:57 pm »
  The chinese elm has the smooth bark and is excellent bow wood, the Siberian has the deep furrows as shown in your picture.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 06:42:49 am »
We have all sorts of Elm here ,not sure what most are so I just stay with the Winged Elm, I know it [easy to spot] and it don't split most times to bad, makes a very good bow if you keep it dry. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good