Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Arrow pass designs

(1/4) > >>

Badger:
   This weekend at the Salt Flats durring my two day practice session I shot 3 arrows from an unfinished bow just to warm up. Conditions were not the best and I had a slight cross wind. This bow was at best very average in performance as it had yet to have the tips thinned and yet to have its final heat treat and reflex applied. I sent a flight arrow between 370 and 380 yards, further than I have ever sent one. I can only attribute it to one thing, the handle was offset and the arrow made very little contact with the arrow pass. This is also confirmed looking at the bows by Josef which have been so effective at setting records in every class. In flight shooting we look for what works, some of the more subtle things we build into a bow can be hidden within its construction while other features are clearly visible.

I just now went and checked a bow I had set a record with a year or two ago, same problem, limbs were off center leaving more room for the arrow in the arrow pass. So fellow flightshooters, keep this in mind as we chase these records. It aint all about how fast it comes out of the bow as much as it is how clean it comes out of the bow. Once we get the clean releases down pat then we can start going back to the speed. None of the bows I have considered to be fast bows have never been successful with the light arrows. Always have problems with arrows kicking before they straighten out. I know where my attention will be focused on for next year!

Aaron H:
You make a great point, thank you for sharing

Marc St Louis:
Steve
Did we not have this discussion many years ago with Dan and a few others.  My stance was as close to center shot as possible but it seems to me that some disagreed with me.

Badger:
  That is very possible Mark, Your particular handle design including the narrow arrow support does seem to get the arrows out cleaner. I have always put most of my efforts into broadhead and have just recently shifted. I can't tell you how disappointing it is to see your arrows kicking sideways badly our of all my best bows. It seems like the higher the early tension the worse they want to kick sideways.

Del the cat:
Thanks for the info.
I noticed the arrow flight a lot with the 110# Elm Warbow as it is about 40mm wide in the grip. We were shooting 3 arrows and I noticed a big difference in flight and distance.
One arrow few consistently about 20 yards left of the others, and the one that left the bow cleanest flew furthest.
Mind 32" flight arrows aren't the norm!
I may have a play with the arrow pass on that molle' I made.
I think my 10yard testing at home is quite revealing, if it's straight at 10 yards, that's good... the problem is, if it isn't straight at 10 yards it can smash ::)
Grass is getting a bit long on the field I use now >:(
Del

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version