Author Topic: Pony bow  (Read 4234 times)

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
Pony bow
« on: September 08, 2015, 12:49:38 am »
  I have seen a few plains Indian bows posted on here but never really gave them much thought until I read a book on the plains Indians of Texas and what formable opponents they were armed with these short bows not to mention there ability to shoot plum through a buffalo weighing close 2000 lbs. I wanted to shoot one so I tried my hand at building one. This is what I came up with. Osage, 1 inch wide, 48 inches tip to tip, draws 46lbs @ 24inches, 3 courses of White Tail back sinew. The skin is a Eastern Mud Snake, I split him down the side and left the belly scales then cut it in half and turned it 180 so the belly scales are opposite on the top and bottom limb. This little bow shoots hard and is surprisingly accurate once you get the hang of it. These pony bows are fun to build and even more fun to shoot.  I learned a lot building this bow and have started another hoping to get 60 lbs. out of the next one. This is my first short bow and first bendy handle so I was just winging it, any constructive criticism on my tiller is both appreciated and welcomed. Thanks for looking , Dan [/img]

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Pony bow
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 01:55:41 am »
WOW!  Very nice little bow! I love the way you did the skins! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 02:13:02 am »
Cool looking little bow, those skins look fantastic.
Its real tough getting a perfect bend on those little guys.
Your real close, looks to me like the bottom limb could bend more everywhere except the fade, but if it shoots well then just leave it. Cheers

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 05:31:00 am »
Lots of bend on that short baby, nice job, love the skins. I am no expert on short's bend handle bow but looks to me like it could use a little more bend in the mid 1/3 before you get to the recurved tips. JMO  ;) Don't look like it took much set so probably if it shoots good ,leave as is. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 07:08:17 am »
Nice looking bow and skins, anything is possible with osage!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 07:11:17 am »
Beautiful bow, the skins are amazing!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline JonW

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 08:21:04 am »
Shorties are cool huh 8) Next time get some more work out of the bow in the middle thirds. Most of your bow is working in the handle and inners. I like the skins.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 05:45:46 pm »
looks nice,, my favorite hunting bow is a short bow of same design,, I have shot through a buffalo with self bow,,and shot through a few deer with bow like yours,, getting the outer limbs to work a bit more as suggested would be good I think,, stressing the limb a bit more even might make it shoot a bit smoother,,, but heck it might be perfect as is,, B

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 05:52:26 pm »
Not much more be said, great bow! Like was already stated, I like the way you did those skins. I also like your quiver  :)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 08:27:27 pm »
Killer looking bow there, those skins have a real nice color and pattern to them.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 10:10:44 pm »
WOW! Very nice!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

riverrat

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 12:05:50 am »
awesome pony bow! does it buck in the hand much? the tiller seems to be in toward the center a little much. if you worked on getting that tiller a little further out in the limbs and maybe tillered those resets so they worked as you got close to full draw, id imagine youd get a great cast as for distance. the same power with a little more draw.and a more comfortable release.just my thoughts. but i love that bow. great work! Tony

Offline GB

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 04:14:56 am »
Beautiful bow!
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 09:17:12 am »
Thanks guys for the kind words and tillering advice.  I truly appreciate it. Dan

Offline Hans H

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 10:52:40 am »
Yes Sir, that`s a really beautiful bow

Hans
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany