Author Topic: Cheap Horn Nock and Insert  (Read 6942 times)

Offline WillS

Re: Cheap Horn Nock and Insert
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 04:20:11 am »
The more corners you cut, the more chance of failure.  Especially with warbows.  The difference in price between the usual and reliable materials selected for this use, and the poor quality unreliable items is so small there's just no point risking the failure.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 04:34:53 pm »
The casting resins aren't as hard as horn. I've used most casting resins and whilst they are hard enough to polish they aren't as hard/durable as buffalo horn.
Definitely get your horn from an archery supplier.

Although I haven't submitted them to a hardness test, for the poundages that I'm used to working in (less than 60#) there's no problems using the casting resin. Then again, I've never been one for high polish looks of anything... The bows that I make get beat up by dozens of people every year who have no clue which end of a bow to point towards a target, so mine are usually... Ummm...  "Utilitarian" in construction.   

If you want a meat-maker or bulls-eye puncher as opposed to a dust-collecting wall hanger, then a lack of a high luster polish is more than made up for in ease of obtainability. But, that's just me.  Cheers!   ;D
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 05:09:29 pm »
Warbows are 70# min and most well above that, I'd use the horn as well
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline familyfriendlyname

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 02:35:13 am »
I can see if I can find a "perfect" Deer antler.

What about Moose antler? I heard that stuff is much less porous.