Author Topic: Unusual String Material  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Ippus

Unusual String Material
« on: September 04, 2015, 11:09:51 pm »
So... I was reading through the string chapter in TBB, and I got me thinking about trying to make some cordage.

I have a Siberian Husky who blows her undercoat roughly twice a year. I say roughly, because it's spread over about two months and at least that many marathon brushing/shedding sessions each spring and fall. But that's given me two sizeable garbage bags full of Husky fluff... I saved it with the vague idea that maybe I could find somebody to spin it or felt it for me and maybe make a hat or have my wife knit a sweater vest. ;)

Wikipedia says dog hair was the main fiber spun on the Northern American continent before the Spaniards introduced sheep. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiengora

So, I decided to try spinning a little myself, just by hand, and an hour or so and a couple misfires later, I had a pretty solid piece of reverse-twist dog hair cordage in front of me. It's about 18" long and maybe 3/16" thick. It weighs less than one gram, maybe .5 - can't even get my kitchen scale to register it.

I read that horse hair string breaks pretty easily, but has anybody ever tried making a bow string out of dog hair?

If I can get the drop-spindle figured out, I could probably put together enough thread for a 14-ply flemish twist in no time, lol.
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Unusual String Material
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 11:18:30 pm »
Now that is cool. You'll have to do some strength tests and tell us the breaking point!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Ippus

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 11:36:05 pm »
I need to figure out the spindle and get a more consistent sample first, I think. :)
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 02:12:55 am »
That's awesome. How does it feel when you tug on it?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 03:55:51 am »
Check this out, it may help speed things up a bit! http://sustainability.stackexchange.com/questions/1182/how-can-i-build-a-spinning-wheel
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Ippus

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 08:34:30 am »
Feels pretty tight when I tug on the reverse-twisted stuff, but I haven't got the thickness/twist consistent on the single thread, yet.

Thanks for the link!

Also, I finally got around to weighing my stockpile, and I have about 1400g, a little over 3 lb of the stuff. As much as I'm getting per gram, I could probably make a couple miles of the single-ply thread...

Offline Ippus

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 11:42:52 am »
Yeah, so, funny story. I got a few more yards of single-ply twisted up yesterday, after I knocked together a drop-spindle, and started to get that figured out.

But...

A few years ago, I had an allergy scratch test that turned up a mild-to-moderate allergy to pet dander. Not enough to stop me living in a house with three house cats and a dog. But I'm thinking that hand-twisting the fibers must be releasing a lot more of the dander or something, because my eyes have not stopped watering since I started this project. Apparently my immune system does draw the line somewhere.

Add that to the cold I'm already fighting this weekend, and that is officially the end of the project.
I don't have the right equipment to card/comb it properly anyway. Maybe I can find somebody who'll make it into yarn for me. It'd probably still be okay to wear, I think it's just the spinning process that's really getting to me.

I suspect the fibers are too short to make much of a bowstring anyway.