Author Topic: creative block  (Read 3277 times)

Offline sleek

Re: creative block
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 04:14:17 pm »
sometimes just starting one can be the inspiration,, :)  trying a different finish(leather dye or fo sturgen) or handle wrap style,, horn nocks etc,, get out of your comfort zone,, keeping it commercially appealing to the masses,, etc etc etc,,, cut one of the staves in two and splice at the handle with a little more back set than your normal ,,,

I have spliced limbs before for that very reason. Got a set im working on right now I did that very thing to.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 05:15:43 pm »
just remember creativity is infinite,,but sometimes its ok to take a rest and recharge your batteries,, thats  part of the creative process as well,, just thinking :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 05:45:06 am »
Looking forward to see what you come up with, never really had that problem, every piece of wood I have ever worked had some kind of issue as you move through the build. :o Been looking for 30+ years for the PREFECT stave, hope to find it some day but so far no cigar. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 07:47:07 am »
I guess perfect is relative :D
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 10:00:34 am »
  I am kind of like Pappy, the creative part doesn't have to be in appearance. You can get creative about how carefully you tiller out and heat treat your stave into the best performer you can make. Simple tried and true designs can perform very well when properly executed.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 10:28:06 am »
I get all the inspiration I need from the bows I see posted here from the experts.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 03:07:10 pm »
Simple stave= simple bow.  Make good shooters out of them, quickly but properly, for someone to use.  Make  straight forward, proven designs (flatbows, longbows, mollies,) and then dress them up a bit with some overlays and leather handles for fun.  Then get on to the good stuff.

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 03:29:48 pm »
  I wish I would have more creative blocks, it would save me a lot of money on wood!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 04:36:05 pm »
yes being creative and be very expensive,,,,, :)