Author Topic: Phragmites from far northern US any good?  (Read 4533 times)

Offline russell

• Northeast, MT
Phragmites from far northern US any good?
« on: January 13, 2015, 02:12:06 pm »
Anyone have any experience with phragmites from the northeastern Montana area.  They're everywhere up here, but look a little thin compared to pics I've seen on some "build alongs".  Wall thickness looks about as thick as a dime.

Wanted to harvest some in late summer/early fall, but didn't make it.  So the only ones I've looked at have been hunting/scouting in late fall/early winter.  Like I said, walls as thin as a dime, but winters up here are -20 to 10 degrees on avg.

Thanks for any insight.
->>>--------->
   John 14:6

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Phragmites from far northern US any good?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 02:29:11 pm »
I'm surprised it grows up there because it is considered a tropical grass. I looked up the hardiness zones for Phragmites and it says zones 4 through 8. I'd think the more southern plants would have a loner growing season thus it would be a hardier(stronger) plant.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline russell

• Northeast, MT
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 02:41:27 pm »
I live kind of on a changeover area - zone 3 or 4 (according to the map - hard to tell for sure).  I'll try to get some pics.
->>>--------->

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 05:35:55 pm »
Are you sure it's Phragmites? There are other grasses that would probably be more hardy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline russell

• Northeast, MT
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 06:16:31 pm »
Not 100% positive.  We have an USDA Ag Extension office up here.  They'll prob know for sure.
->>>--------->

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 07:58:54 pm »
Yeah, they will know. Ask about red osier dogwood or other shrub type dogwoods and viburnums in your area.

Offline russell

• Northeast, MT
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 09:19:58 am »
Will do  ;)
->>>--------->

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 09:27:16 am »
I haven't messed with it from your area, but it does get mighty thin walled in the North country.  You have lots of chokecherry though.  That makes some pretty good shoot shafts.  Josh

Offline russell

• Northeast, MT
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 10:11:49 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I need to get better versed in the shrubs and shoots in this area.  Always used bought ceder shafts up until recently.  Thanks again.
->>>--------->

Offline sumpitan

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 05:40:39 pm »
Phragmites australis grows all the way up to Northernmost Lapland here, way above the Arctic Circle. Pictured are some Phragmites cane collected from 60 North latitude, or approximately the same climate as Northern Montana has (thanks to the Gulf Stream). Outside diameter of the cane shafts is 8.8 and 9.2 mm (11/32"+), with a wall thickness of around 1.5 mm (1/16"). Haven't been able to straighten these well enough, so I'm looking for straighter stock. These shafts are solid, though.

Tuukka

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 08:55:18 pm »
I'd say go for it, never know when your missing out on primo material no ones thought of before.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 01:11:23 pm »
I have been using some from Utah.  I think the key is to give it as long to grow as possible.  Last year I watched the weather and  tried to harvest like 20 minutes before the first freeze of the year--well, a day or two before, anyway.  give the walls as much time to grow thicker as possible.  It will make a light but usable arrow--with a foreshaft attached.