Author Topic: Feather sanding jig  (Read 3807 times)

Offline ksnow

Feather sanding jig
« on: September 09, 2015, 01:51:24 pm »
Spent some time over the holiday weekend making a jig to sand the bases of fletchings.  Feather grinding/sanding/scraping has always been a job I loathed to do.  So, with some scrap lumber and a few aluminum strips, I made a block that I can sand the bases down to a uniform thickness in much less time.  Plus, I wreck far fewer feathers in the process.

Offline Ardent

• Imgur albums of my work
Re: Feather sanding jig
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 02:52:26 pm »
I like it! I assume you have a wood block with a strip of sandpaper wrapped around it that rides between the side rails? It look like the sandpaper scrapes on the aluminum. Are you concerned about it wearing out prematurely? One last question, how thick are the aluminum strips?

Offline ksnow

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 03:50:58 pm »
Ardent, I will take a few more pics tonight of the process.  I had to make a sanding block that rides on the aluminum pieces, and I put a narrow strip of sandpaper on the block.  The aluminum is 1/8" stock.

Offline Ardent

• Imgur albums of my work
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 06:39:00 pm »
Thanks. I'm about to have to start grinding feathers for the first time , and I definitely want to make some kind of jig to help make things uniform and reduce the chance of me messing up my precious goose feathers. There are some rediculously-priced jigs out there, as I'm sure you know, so I am highly interested in cheap DIY solutions.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 01:33:22 pm »
Here are a few more pictures.  The aluminum strips were too thick in the beginning, so I had to cut a bit off the thickness of the sanding block.  If I went too far, I would have put thin shim stock under the aluminum strips to space them higher.  It definitely takes some tweaking, but once it is set up, it works really nice.  The sandpaper is 80 grit self adhesive auto body stuff that comes in long strips.  I cut 1/2" wide pieces.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 03:54:03 pm »
I like it. Maybe use wingnuts to speed it up a bit.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 09:41:00 pm »
Nice jig!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Scottski

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 01:49:33 pm »
I like this jig!
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?