Author Topic: Larry Hazelwoods first bow (68" NTN hackberry, not sure what draw weight yet)  (Read 2069 times)

Offline toomanyknots

This is my friend larry, probably the only other guy I know who is interested in making bows and stuff. This is his first build. I think there may be a bit of a hingy part on the upper limb, but over all I think he did a fine job on his first build. It was made from a hackberry I had laying around, been seasoning for probably over 3 years now, I don't even remember. Initial set after putting some arrows threw it was less than an inch on both limbs. No heat treating either yet! Oh yeah, haven't weight it yet, but it feels like a good 45 to 50 lbs.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 10:47:49 am by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bowandarrow473

Looks great for a first bow. I can see what your talking about with the hingey part but it could just be the camera angle.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Stixnstones

gotta say thats a good lookin stik, i do see the hingy top part of the limb. if its not the camera angle , than it should be easy enuff to fix. nice work. never worked hackberry before. got a bunch cut last winter and cant wait to start workin it.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Incredible first bow. Well done, Larry. You must have a good teacher.
 Try narrowing your stance. Your feet should be at shoulder width.  Looks like you are "getting into" an English war bow and not a 45# ALB.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Good job :)
@ Pat B ... he has to have his feet wide apart to stop his trousers (pants to you guys ::)) falling down >:D ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
I wasn't going to mention that, Del.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GB

That's a good looking bow, especially for his first.  Welcome to the obsession, Larry! :)
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Yep ,nice job, nothing like your first shooter. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good