Author Topic: Buffalo arrows  (Read 31829 times)

Offline Juniper

Re: Buffalo arrows
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2008, 07:43:36 pm »
Great discussion.  I have hunted hogs is South Texas at many different ranches, some high fence and some not (ranging in size from 400ac-13,000acres).  My experience is the amount of hunting pressure on the animals dictated the challenge of the hunt.  I have been completely skunked in a high fence environment on more than one occasion, especially on the smaller ranches.  The animals were unbelievable skittish, jumpy, completely on top of their game, leaving me wishing that high fence hunting was easy.  Last year I hunted a large ranch (13,000 acres w/ high fence around the perimeter).  This outfit only let a limited number of people hunt hogs and javelina each year.  The hunting was great as the animals weren't so freaked out.  Our group harvested many more animals than on the smaller ranches.  I will be returning this year. 

The thing that would bother me personally about hunting a buffalo in a high fence situation is that it sounded like the animal would be released into the enclosure and immediately hunted.  If the buffalo had been raised in the fenced area or lived for some time in that environment, I think it could be very challenging to hunt, as it would have a better idea of how to evade the hunter.  In fact, in that scenario, I don't believe an archer would be sucessfull very often.  Any animal can put alot of moves on you in a 2sq mi. (1,280acre) area.  Especially if it knows what to do, when hunted.  Thanks, Love the discussion. 

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2008, 03:24:54 am »
I have looked on you tube for some video's on the buffalo hunting. Most of the buffalo I saw were buffalo and not bison. It appears to me that hunting a cape or Asiatic or water buffalo is a significantly dangerous proposition. I have seen their aggressive nature. It is my understanding the North American bison while no slouch when aroused does not share the offensive posture of the other species. This does not exclude of course herd bulls flowing with the juices of their primal dominance or protective mothers with their calves in the face of predatory pressure. I do not think there is as significant a risk as the buffalo's. Having said that, I am still trying to make up my mind if the 55# bow with 850 grain 2blade broadhead at 20yds is enough punch to take her as quickly as possible. I have received feedback that ranges the gambit. I wished I had a 65# that I was comfortable and accurate with but I don't and won't by the time I have to make my decision. That has certainly aroused my recognition that I need to make sure I build one of the Osage bows to be at least 65# or a little more and that I work my way up this next year to be comfortable with hitting what I'm looking at. It also appears that most of what I have seen have been glass recurve shooters or cyborgs. I watched a cyborg shooter get a complete pass through on his second arrow and the bull wandered off for about 15min and then finally succumbed to the blood loss and lack of oxygen. One of the things I noticed with all of them is they took extra care not to let the animal see them take the shot. Seemed like a good idea that even though they knew you were there if they couldn't  put you as the source of their anguish then you were still not a threat and just part of the landscape. So if I do decide to go thru with it although I will respect the animals ability to defend itself I will try and not let their be any negative anxiety on my part. I have no doubt the adrenalin will be flowing.  Comments still welcome on both sides of the aisle so put yer two cents worth in while ya can. Thanks.........Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Texas Pete

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2008, 10:31:08 am »
Bring backup! If using a pistol go for the heavy duty stuff like a .50. Best yet, lever action in at least .45-70. At twenty yards if you wound a Bison it can turn on you and turn you into jellied patie de human! These are not deer!!!!

Don't put two much faith in the 45-70

I did a Buffalo hunt last February.  The ranch I hunted on was a 7000 acre open area (I guess its a pen, just alot bigger)where they stock buffalo and elk. 

I was talken out to an area and the guide and myself took off on foot.  I was using a Pedersoli "Quigley" in 45-70.  We started following the track (Realize that buffalo herd tracks look like some plowed the ground about 50 yards wide.  We cam up over the hill and found the herd about 100 yards out.  I set up and was taking aim when a yearling bull walked out of the brush at about 35 yards.  I re-positioned, took aim and put the 405 grain round right in its engine room, thinking the bull would just fall. It didn't.  It winced a little like it had been bitten by a horsefly and casually walked back into the brush, where it took almost 20 minutes for it to fall and die.  When we got it gutted, we found the heart and both lungs were destroyed, yet it still took 20 minutes for this animal to die

So, in short, dont be too confident that a 45-70 will stop a charging pissed off buffalo; it won't.

Oh, and my 02 cents worth.  In some states, all we hunters have to hunt on is private land.  As far as killing a buffalo in a pen, let me ask you this; would you rather pay $6 a pound for it processed, or kill it yourself,process it and maybe have $2 a pound into it?

Texas Pete

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2008, 12:40:10 pm »
Pete,
    I'm thinking the $2 a pound is a no brainer. 20 minutes with heart and lungs gone huh? Yeah, I would say they have been fashioned by our Creator to be durable haven't they. I'm thinkin if she is charging a head shot would be the only chance of derailing the freight train bearing down on ya. Anyone else with an idea on shot placement?    Danny

Offline John K

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2008, 01:17:53 pm »
All i can say, is i've seen slugs bounce off there skulls go through the trailer and through the wall of the blast freezer. They have tuff skulls  :o  I'd go for a lung and heart shot with the bow and in the ear with a gun.

Good luck !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2008, 03:27:10 pm »
I'll keep that in mind. Danny

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2008, 04:00:56 pm »
I would go for a lung shot with the bow and keep quiet.  If she don't know where you are she cant get you.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2008, 04:04:25 pm »
 The title of the post is "BUFFALO ARROWS !" Can we stop talkin' about guns, their effectiveness, preferences of calibers and stories about gun hunts ? This is NOT a discussion about "the microcosm is indicative of the macrocosm !" (pens ) Like I said in another post the circular reasoning  is amazing !.....bob

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2008, 06:23:30 pm »
Good point Bob.
    How heavy are the cane arrows you made up for buffalo ? I know you told me already , but @#$ I forgot. Only part I remember is you said the trades after sharpening are 268 grains .

Heck post a few pics of them here , so we can get this thread back on track.

Ralph

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2008, 08:53:07 pm »
Hmmm! How about shot shell tipped arrows? Its been done!  >:D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2008, 09:27:12 pm »
Take it easy now fellas. No need to get grouchy. I personally have found the discourse to be interesting. Insight into the experience of others is helping me to formulate my decision and I have not settled on it yet. Since I started the thread I would hope it is my position to determine if the thread is off track. As most of it seems relevant to the overall objective I see nothing wrong with it thus far. I would like to see the arrows Ralph was referring to. I think that could go along way to bringing us back to the orginal post although you know how these topics can be. They sometimes tend to take on different directions than we originally  intended. For instance, when I originally posted this I did not ask anyone what they thought about what I was thinking about doing and yet I got alot of opinions. Thats fine with me because it helps me to consider differing positions my little pea brain may not have considered.  So lets keep the discussion going and if you have something productive to say, say it. If not then don't. Its your choice.

I would like to see the arrows that Ralph mentioned though.   Danny

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2008, 09:33:52 pm »
No matter what you decide on just be carefull! (Jeesh! I sound like my mother!)  :D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Little John

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2008, 12:14:34 pm »
Danny, be sure you read Dr. Ashbys article in one of the latest Traditional bowhunter mags and incoororate all 14 of the penetration enhancing  subjects discussed into a set of bison arrows. Take a close shot from a blind, maybe at a water hole or on the trail to the water hole to get the perfect shot. Use the wind and never let the animals know where the arrow came from. Worst case the animal can be finished off later with a rifle later if the arrow dosn't do the trick. If you can't get  the Ashby article, I can fax it to you.Have fun and I am jelous.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2008, 12:47:23 pm »
Thanks John and Tiller. Yeah John that all sounds like good info. I believe I gave that issue to a freind to read and I can't remember which one...lol you know how it is. If I didn't needed it I would have it. This would be a good time to have some arrows made from hickory or some other heavier hardwood thats heavier. We shall see this week what I can come up with. I am talking to the ranch today and also my brother to see who all we have coming with me for the adventure. I will most certainly take care.   Danny

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2008, 01:16:38 pm »
You can read the complete Ashley report on TradGang.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC