Author Topic: Best Osage I've ever seen  (Read 12746 times)

Offline Ryan C

Re: Best Osage I've ever seen
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2015, 09:59:22 pm »
I have a chainsaw but it's my dad's and I've never really used it before.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2015, 10:04:24 pm »
Then don't use it.  Ask him to come and help you for safety reasons.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2015, 10:14:45 pm »
And while you're at it get him to teach you how to use it. There is those ones down by the creek ;) ;)

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2015, 10:19:00 pm »
%95 percent of all my bows come from tress less than 5 inches in diameter and for those I use a Corona Razortooth Saw, the thing eats through wood faster than any bow saw and is small enough to fit in your pocket. I highly recommend it for any tree up too about 5 inches in diameter. So if your into sapling bows it makes the cutting job so much easier.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Loope

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2015, 10:25:47 pm »
If you did get poison ivy, I have found something that works great for me... orders of magnitude better than just calamine lotion.  Try Tecnu Extreme... I find it usually on the same shelf as the pink calamine stuff at the drug store, or even sometimes in the pharmacy section of a grocery store.  I scrub the area as soon as I feel a hint of itchy, and it has worked wonders for me.  Of course the best is to learn to recognize the leaves/vines and stay away...

Nice find on the tree, and good luck on turning it into some bows!

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2015, 11:02:12 pm »
I'll take one!

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2015, 11:06:41 pm »
Let's Just say a chainsaw might be a little too loud.... >:D

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2015, 11:45:02 pm »
That makes it sound like you are taking wood from land you don't have permission to cut on.

Tell me it isn't so.........

Offline sleek

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2015, 12:30:57 am »
Well..... lets just say... I have done some midnight pruning also. But for the record,  always best to ask. Especially if its sn entire tree lol!  Dont get in the habit of doing that, not saying you did, just... be careful. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 07:32:34 am »
I don't know who's land it is there's nobody near by so I can't really ask anybody. There is a road at the bottom of the hill that people walk on though.

Offline RAU

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2015, 11:11:08 am »
Beautiful tree good for you. Always get permission on private property.  I'd never, ever cross someone's posters and go on their private land and take a tree as I'm sure you'd never do either, but if a tree like that was in an area like a RR Right of way (far enough from tracks anyway) within high water mark of navigabe river, on edge of old strip mine land etc land that you'd never be able to ask anyone well that's different in my eyes. I'm sure this situation your in is similar.  Be careful. Nice tree!

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2015, 11:19:47 am »
You can get contact info for the owner at the County Courthouse in the Deed Dept.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2015, 12:07:25 pm »
+1 what Pat said.  You can find out tax information online most of the time, almost all counties in the US use an online GIS system these days.  I use them all the time - just go to Google and search for <your county and state> GIS online.  Then you can use the system to find out who owns the property and give them a call.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2015, 03:33:40 pm »
Being an honest guy, I always get permission to cut. Quite often the lands owner is overjoyed that you would ask permission rather than steal the wood he will give you permission to cut on other property. I have never been turned down when I asked to cut osage, I always show the land owner a bow I made and have distributed more then one "thank-you" bows for for wood.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2015, 04:02:28 pm »
What Eric said to the t.  A judge might have you flipping burgers or what ever for a long time to pay replacement cost for a osage tree. Not worth it.  Best of luck to you young man. There are some old people on here that have been down such roads.   :-[ Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!