Author Topic: Best Osage I've ever seen  (Read 12740 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Best Osage I've ever seen
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2015, 04:10:34 pm »
I messaged him this info as well. Most all of the deeds in Utah are online now. They have an interactive map, click on the parcel on the map, and it gives you the owners address. Sometimes it takes some more digging to find a number, but chances are someone you know, knows the owner.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2015, 04:29:58 pm »
My friend hunts up in the woods where this  tree is. Actually he was setting up a blind when he saw it so I guess he has some kind of permission to be on the land.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2015, 07:15:09 pm »
In my book if it's a place where you can hunt then you can cut a tree or two as long as it's not some tree with serious commercial value.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 07:39:49 pm »
Being an honest guy, I always get permission to cut. Quite often the lands owner is overjoyed that you would ask permission rather than steal the wood he will give you permission to cut on other property. I have never been turned down when I asked to cut osage, I always show the land owner a bow I made and have distributed more then one "thank-you" bows for for wood.
My thoughts exactly Eric.....Integrity will get you there.

In my book if it's a place where you can hunt then you can cut a tree or two as long as it's not some tree with serious commercial value.
I have to disagree B&A ....I have property and let people hunt and if they cut one of my trees without permission I would have an issue......All you have to do is ask.....

Ryan C ...IMHO I think you should ask.....the Mo-Jo would defiantly be better.........I would have a hard time making a bow out of that stave if you gave it to me... :(
DBar
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:19:10 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2015, 11:40:34 am »
Trees are expensive, Look to see what the cost of a mature tree is to buy, then ask how you would feel if someone that knew someone that had permission to hunt, cut a tree down. I would be hot, and I would seek to make an example of that type of person.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2015, 12:12:45 pm »
This is very true, if I have permission to hunt I even ask if I can hang a tree stand. And then ask if it's even ok to do a little pruning so I can see and shoot cleaner. I've been told no. I then explained that the pruning was so I could make a clean quick kill so the animal wouldn't suffer. I was then told to prune all I want. I can now cut Osage, hickory, elm and white oak on his property when I find it. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2015, 03:01:27 pm »
Boy, you guys know how to bust someone's bubble.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2015, 03:28:37 pm »
It isn't bursting one's bubble, its showing that ethics matter in our tight knit bow making community.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2015, 10:31:24 pm »
I have never cut a tree on anyones property but ones where I have permission to. And would never cut a tree on property I know that is owned by a person that would not want tress cut or property with posted signs. I was trying to say that if you have permission to hang stands and set up blinds and shooting lanes then a sapling or two I think will not hurt (as long as the owner isnt a bowmaker). I dont go around and whack down mature trees ever, even on property I have been given the "cut all you want" on, I feel as though a tree larger than 4-5in in diameter is too much.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2015, 10:52:11 pm »
It is not so much about a bubbie. It's about teaching a young man there is other ways to achieve what you want and find a new friend for life . Instead of having a lawman after your b2:.. It's that simple. Some of us have been there down that. Whether it was a friend for life or a lawman!  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PatM

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2015, 11:32:03 pm »
" Excuse me sir, I've been trespassing on your property for hours and noticed a fine tree suitable for bows, mind if I cut it?"

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2015, 11:36:56 pm »
May keep law man off ya. And yes maybe a friend for life. Old codger just met a honest young man. That makes old codgers feel good. Arvin ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2015, 08:08:59 am »
Yep, just because no one is near don't mean it don't belong to someone. :) You are right Arvin, we old codgers do like to be ask. :) I try and be pretty charitably when ask, not so nice when not ask. :) Character is doing the right thing when no one can see.  ;) :) Still a very nice tree ,be careful getting in un hung, I do like Clint when that happens, I first cut a little across the top and then under cut it and let it come down, if you don't cut across the top of the log it is likely to split up it when you under cut, then repeat until I can get it where I can handle it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2015, 10:23:54 am »
Well we got it down we cut a couple small maple trees and used them like pry bars to move the tree over and it fell down. Got the first log cut off it.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2015, 03:19:57 pm »
Now you just need to get that heavy son of a gun to the road. Got permission yet. ;) Arvin