Author Topic: Build Along for Beginning Bow Makers  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Build Along for Beginning Bow Makers
« on: August 28, 2015, 10:53:18 pm »
If picture is worth 1,000 words then comprehensive vid of bow building basics may be worth bit more than 1,000 words.
Just came across this YouTube vid series that seems would be worthwhile to newbies, and maybe some olderbies.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBC37B17900FD25F8

Hope ya'll agree that it's worthy.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline KS51

Re: Build Along for Beginning Bow Makers
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 09:39:05 am »
I watched through part 3 and I found it okay.  There are a few things I would do different or advise.  First, I don't glue on the riser block until I cut the side tapers and get the basic handle/fade roughed in, but I taper by hand and clamping the board with the riser block is a pain.  Also, the bow layout should be on both sides of the board, once you have a double taper the only lines left will be on the back.  Aditionally, make sure to mark center points on either end and at the center.  For beginners (and experienced bowyers) losing reference points can be a real pain (my eyeballs fall out of calibration fairly regularly)  Finally, I am not a fan of doing deep tall cuts with a table saw, it can be dangerous and while doable for someone that is skilled, it is not what I consider good advice to a beginner.  Much better to belly taper with the block plane before the riser block is glued on. It is slower, more controlled, and less likely to make a fast/fatal mistake.  Just my .02