Author Topic: White oak for backing strip  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

White oak for backing strip
« on: August 27, 2015, 09:35:19 pm »
I have an opportunity to pick through a stash of 4x6-8'white oak boards for $40 for the board of my choice. These boards have been stored in a barn for 10 years and are air dried. I'm curious how good it will be for backing strips. And how would it compare to hickory and maple for backing strips?

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline jeffhalfrack

Re: White oak for backing strip
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 09:52:11 pm »
white oak is my fave! not the fastest but good.shooters!  one of my best bows was white oak that I cut a backing out of the board flipped the backing end for end and glued a little reflex reflex it was a fine shooting bow,,,,as a backing Dint expect hickory like performance but It is easy to find good straight grain  good luck JeffW

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:57:03 pm »
White oak is almost impossible to break. But will take some set, best pair it with a wood that you would pair hickory or boo with.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 12:37:25 pm »
  Just pick super straight grain, as straight as you can, then orient the board and trim along that perfect grain for your first cut.  Take your backings and check the grain as you go, adjusting the cut as needed.  The baxckings can be QSW, flat, or rift, as lopng as they are pretty well oriented longitudinally.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 07:29:08 pm »
Awesome. Glad to know it'll work. Since I get to pick through the pile I should be able to find a good board that'll give me atleast a few backing strips.

Kyle