Author Topic: limb tip twisting problem???  (Read 4932 times)

Offline PatM

Re: limb tip twisting problem???
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 02:45:12 pm »
I thought you said big recurves.?That thing just has a little curve to it.    ;)
Many people really work on the recurved portion to try to remove twist but often the twist can be a slight  degree of twist in the limb. Make sure you try to locate where your twist actually is.

Offline thomas74p

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 03:15:20 pm »
yes sir. thats big recurve for me. the twists were in different places mostly in the limbs around the knots. hopefully after a few months of shooting I'll have a better idea of how good it is.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 03:19:54 pm »
  Hey, that actually turned out pretty well!

So, looking at the pics closer, just some thoughts for next time.   One of the disadvantages of recurves is that they often have massive outer limbs in order to ensure stability.   Since the tip is not more or less aligned with everything else, it provides leverage for TINY misalignments of stresses and forces to torque the limbs sideways and create vibration, etc..

In this bow, starting only 1-1/2" wide was probably fine, but on a recurve or severely reflexed tip, if you taper the WIDTH of the limb down too early, as you noted, the limb BELOW the recurve is the problem.  If it is 1/2" by 1/2" at the BASE of the recurve, there is no reason for the limb to bend the way you want it, back toward the string, because it can bend sideways as easily as it can bend backwards.  The recurve provides the off-center leverage, and BTW it is amplified by the reflex, or setback handle, too.

So, keep a recurve limb WIDER further out the limb.  If I make a bow 64"x 2" wide, say, with 5 or 6" recurves, I might taper the limbs only the last 10".  You can always smooth a little away later.  So the base of the recurves is almost an inch wide x the 1/2" thickness. 

But, we don't like heavy tips, right?  Well, tough, you need the stability.  However, you CAN bnlend a little away, improve the tiller, mess with the trapping, or the cross section, reinforce the curve with cables, backings or overlays, etc, and most IMPORTANTLY shorten the limb.  Shorter limb means less weight at the tips, cuz it's GONE!  The recurve takes care of the energy storage, smooth draw, etc...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 07:53:32 pm »
Pat M is right.The recurves I've made with propeller in the limb can be tedious and it's best to take the propeller out of the limb while holding your tip straight in line and in place.To make more aggressive recurves a straight piece is best,less trouble and your limb width would need to be wider too to handle the near handle bending,but now the base of your recurve can be 9/16"wide 4" from your tip yet and be stable if you have things in line.I'm not an expert but it has worked for me on half a dozen bows.They can be suckers.Looks like you got this one though.Nice job.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 07:23:04 am »
Looks like you got it all worked out, turned out nice, way to stay with it , that's part of the game just keep at it until you either screw it up so bad it can't be fixed or fix it. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good