Author Topic: Cheap Horn Nock and Insert  (Read 6930 times)

Offline familyfriendlyname

Cheap Horn Nock and Insert
« on: August 26, 2015, 07:55:44 am »
Hey everyone, I'm back with some more questions!

I have a tri-lam warbow that will be glued up and worked on soon, so I have some questions I want to ask before I do anything.

For one, I have a pet store nearby, that has antler and horn dog chews. Could I use one of those to make the "traditional" string nocks on a how? Maybe with a sidenock?

Also, instead of a horn insert for the arrows, can something else be used? Or can I just whip (wrap/serve) the ends?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:00:50 am by Pappy »

Offline Wooden Spring

Re: Cheap Horn Nock and Insert
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 08:28:06 am »
No problem using the dog chews for horn nocks - part of the fun of having this hobby is finding new ways to repurpose! 

You want a great tip though? Go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's craft store and pick up a product called "Amazing Clear Casting Resin" and "Amazing Mold Rubber Kit." (You can also get this stuff from Amazon.com cheaper) Basically, you make a rectangular mold with the silicone rubber the rough size you need for your nocks, and pour the casting resin into it (you can color this stuff too), and you're making your own "bone" or "horn." I know it's cheating, but when this resin dries, it's tougher than bone or horn, it can be glued with epoxy onto your bow, you can color it however you want, and it's just as easy to shape.

For your arrow pass, just carve out a hollow into your bow where you want it, fill it with the colored casting resin, then when it's dried, sand off any overflow, and it looks like a flawless bone inlay.

If you don't mind "cheating" a little bit, this stuff is AWESOME...
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 08:38:45 am »
For the arrows you would be fine with a tight wrapping of silk or B-50 or another good, strong string.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 08:41:59 am »
I've been messing around cue balls recently that I got for 50 cents at a flea market. I think it's technically phenolic but it has a nice bone/ivory look when all polished up.
Springfield, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 08:44:07 am »
I've used rawhide dog chews for splines for reinforced self nocks as well as wood and piano ivory.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 09:42:06 am »
A little detail may have been missed...

These arrows will be for a warbow...

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 01:38:11 pm »
I like the idea from Wooden Spring, I may try it.

Regarding a "Cheap horn nock and insert"... You get it cheaper from archery suppliers than you'll get it at a pet store. I've looked at antler and horn pieces whenever I see them, and they're always better quality and price from an archery source.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 11:24:56 pm »
Yeah, Wooden Spring had an awesome suggestion!

I was wondering, how about metal as an insert?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 04:25:28 am »
 ;) ;D ;D ;D Nice name. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline WillS

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 06:46:39 am »
Lots of the guys in the EWBS use thin plastic for horn inserts for arrows - the stuff you get in DVD cases works really well, and looks almost like horn. 

The antlers in pet shops are no good, unless you're lucky enough to find the absolute tips of the larger ones - anything else is too spongy and porous. 

Sometimes you get lucky with the buffalo horn as well, but it's usually flattened so the dogs can get their gums on it, and always hollowed out.  You'll waste a fortune buying them, because you can only use a tiny amount of it.  Getting actual cow horn or buffalo horn from archery suppliers / cow horn producers is never any more expensive, and it's stuff that's been selected for that particular use.

Offline WillS

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 06:50:02 am »
Pets At Home sell their antler for between £5 and £12!  That's a stupid amount of money to pay for something you have to discard 90% of, whereas the cow horn place I buy from sells full length horns for £10, and you can use every bit of them.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 07:54:00 am »
      A couple of weeks ago I made some horn nocks from black epoxy I got at the auto parts store. Form it by hand, even lay in a string groove then when it hardens finish shaping with files and sandpaper. Side by side with my natural horn nocks you can't tell the difference.

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 03:26:22 pm »
These are all awesome ideas! I really like the CD/DVD case insert idea...

What do you think about using JB Weld Putty as horn nocks? You think it can handle a heavy bow?

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 04:15:39 pm »
The antler at pet stores is quite pricey too. Personally I would recommend looking to buy antler points off of eBay or some other e-retailer. They go for much less per tine.

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 06:12:09 pm »
The casting resins aren't as hard as horn. I've used most casting resins and whilst they are hard enough to polish they aren't as hard/durable as buffalo horn.
Definitely get your horn from an archery supplier.