Author Topic: The evolution of "Eve"  (Read 8855 times)

Offline DaveMac

Re: The evolution of "Eve"
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2015, 04:24:16 pm »

here is an edit of your photo the arrows show where I see your flares, the red arrow shows where the front profile is the thinnest and your side profile is also at its thinnest. I think your bow will break at one of these red arrows.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:27:46 pm by DaveMac »

Offline TenkaraGrasshopper

• TenkaraGrasshopper
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2015, 04:29:04 pm »
Thanks DaveMac. Any suggestions on strengthening this region of the bow?

The good news is this is a return to bow making for me. Relearning the whole thing again. At least if nothing else "Eve" will be a test run for future bows.

Heck, look what happened to the first Eve! >:D

Respect your elders!!!

Offline DaveMac

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2015, 04:45:02 pm »
the only thing to do is pretty much what pearl drums suggested like 10 posts back. l'd plane the side profile totally flat and glue a 11"-12" block where your handle will be. Your 5" handle will be full thickness and the rest will be feathered into your fade. Remember your fade will have to go into your main board (so the glued on section doesn't pop off), so you will lose some thickness and as a result it will be lower weight.

Good news is this will also allow you to extend your flares which I think looked a little sharp. Mine did shoot in the end (although Ive never really trusted it) so don't give up on this board yet, at the very least it will teach you some stuff.

I extended the fade to 3" and the flare to 2" this way the limb depth gets thicker as its width gets thinner.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2015, 04:47:12 pm »
make the fades a little longer,, :)

• TenkaraGrasshopper
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2015, 05:10:25 pm »
Thanks DaveMac. That is one beautiful bow.  ;D

I will play around with this a little more and decide what to do.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions on this build.
Respect your elders!!!

Offline DaveMac

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2015, 05:35:53 pm »
Thanks DaveMac. That is one beautiful bow.  ;D

I will play around with this a little more and decide what to do.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions on this build.

I tried to learn as much of it as I could, so I practised tillering, nock overlays, finishing, stitching the leather handle. All in the hope that when I build a proper bow I will be able to do all the details. I haven't made the same mistakes again but have made plenty more, thanks for the complement but I've yet to produce anything I'm happy with (but enjoying learning).

I'm based in the UK and have yet to meet another person who has ever tried to build a bow, you cant ask a book questions, so forums like this are invaluable. Don't get me wrong I have read a couple of posts that have come across a little prickly (not on this thread I must add) however the advice has been sound. No one is a fan of critique but the hardest lessons are the ones that stick.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2015, 05:53:38 pm »
Like this.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

• TenkaraGrasshopper
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2015, 05:56:09 pm »
Is that laminated?
Respect your elders!!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2015, 06:42:06 pm »
Yes, but you don't need to. Just grab a  block of 3/4 x 2 x 10 wood and glue it on. Work your current handle flat with the rest of the bow first.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2015, 05:36:42 am »
This thread is teaching me a lot. Please keep it up.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2015, 08:12:03 pm »
Maybe this helps, or maybe you already have a plan. The blue is drawn wrong, but that represents your current width fades extending to match the soon to be thickness fade.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2015, 09:11:15 pm »
+1 on Pearl's sketching. + consider extending fade slope another 1/2 - 3/4" along length of limb to meet limb thickness you're gonna start with.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857