Author Topic: Does anyone use aluminum arrows?  (Read 6134 times)

Offline Tiredtim

Does anyone use aluminum arrows?
« on: August 22, 2015, 09:29:40 pm »
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone uses aluminum arrows instead of wood?  I really hate to go to aluminum but I shot with a friend and used one of his.  They travel much faster and I can't seem to get the fletching down the way I want it.  I won't quit trying but the season is coming on quick and it's my goal this year to get one with my selfbow.  I've never gotten one with it.  Thanks

Offline jeffhalfrack

Re: Does anyone use aluminum arrows?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:01:04 pm »
Yup  just do it,,,,,you'll figure out woodies soon enough,,,,if you hunt,,,you owe that animal some respect,,,if wood isn't working move on,,,,but when its all said and done you'll love it when you get wood dialed in !ts repeatable but keep at it good luck JeffW

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 10:48:13 pm »
Thanks Jeff.   Now I have to figure out the right arrow. You helped a great deal.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 05:01:51 am »
I use aluminum. I want to have very consistant gear to learn on. Then when im darn good i can start finicking with wood. (Is my theory) i do fully intend on going to woods and knapped heads one day. There is an easy to follow chart on arriws at three rivers archery. It gives you an idea where to start.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 05:49:52 am »
We don't have any Aluminium trees in the UK...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 11:03:43 am »
Lots of them trees here Del.  ;) ;D ;D I know several folks that use them and they are much easier to get a matched set for sure, wood will come around but if I was where you are right now and hunting season closing in on me I would use them to, probably did 30+ years ago for the same reason. ;) I think if I remember right 20/13teens were my choice, they would fly out of about anything. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline punch

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 03:49:26 pm »
Use what you have and get some wood ones when you can.  I stopped using aluminum when I was using a glass bow in favor of woods because I found that the aluminum were not as durable as wood.  Aluminum sure does have a flatter trajectory.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 04:07:25 pm »
You think those metal shafts fly nice Tim, try some Gold Tips carbons. Even better. Big Jim sells "seconds" dirt cheap. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 05:55:53 pm »
Now that is going to far Pearl  ::) Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 09:20:16 pm »
Uh oh..... we aren't going to have that "which one is more primitive - carbon or aluminum?" thing again are we?  ;D

Makin bows that shoot good is pretty easy - but making a good set of arrows takes a while.  Heck yeah, in your shoes I would go with aluminum.  The arrow selection chart on the 3 Rivers site will put you darn close to perfect arrow flight in short order.  You might have to play around with what point weight gives you the best flight, but you will have a matched set that flies good in no time.   I have filled many a freezer with aluminum arrows over the years.  These days I am a wooden arrow guy for the most part.  I think they are quieter off the bow.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 09:47:26 pm »
Be sure you dial those new arrows in with field tips before you spend money on matched weight broad heads. It's easy to do when you can screw them in and out so easily.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 04:47:53 am »
Nether H Rhodes  ;)  :) when it come to arrows, but some like myself don't clam to be primitive, Just like to shoot wood bows ;) :) I personally only shoot wood/Cain or shoot shafts and kid the guys at TwinOaks about shooting carbons/aluminum out of self bows as  being sacrilege ,but it is all in fun and really don't matter what you shoot, as has been said to each there own.  :)I'm with Pearl though if I was going to shoot anything except what I named above it would be 35/55 Gold tips. :) Several shoot them at the Club and they fly like darts. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 03:23:28 pm »
I'm with Pearlie, too 35/55 Gold Tips. I even so a guy paint nodes on his so it looked like bamboo.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 08:12:08 pm »
Who is using metal these days.  Carbon is the way to go.   They also use carbon on bows gives better cast and makes a faster bow.    ;D :D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell