Author Topic: How good is good enough for splice  (Read 6618 times)

Offline sleek

Re: How good is good enough for splice
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2015, 05:29:38 pm »
Its not enough. You need to over and or underlay. You do not want a limb tip hitting you in the face.

Mike, your limb tips are recurved, which reduce torque on the joint because the linear distance between joints and tip is shorter than if the limb is straight, like on Kyle's. His has more leverage than yours and looks to be shorter of a splice. Its no good without reinforcing. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2015, 06:11:05 pm »
That's what I was thinking. So m glad I already got the over and underlays started on. I'll work on getting them close tonite. I started on some white ash overlays that'll run from just past the tip of the joint and turn into the string holding overlay. And some ERC underlays taht will be about 2" past the joint and I'll featherdown thin enough to flex a little then run it to the tip.

Kyle

Offline bubby

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2015, 06:35:11 pm »
Actually sleek the levers on a molly act basically the same as a recurve, mechanically speaking, while his splice is a tad short it will prolly work but when it's going to a new home best to be safe, i make my vee splices 3-4" long giving 6-8" of glueing surface
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sleek

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2015, 07:38:10 pm »
Thats a good length bubby.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2015, 11:47:58 am »
I finally got the time to get the splices finished. I went with cherry for the main piece, white ash for the ovetlay, and ERC for the belly piece. I tried going with just the over and underlays but at about 28" of draw the thin ends of the black locust started to split. Once I found that that was where the pop came from I filled it with super glue and clamped it shut. Then I wrapped it with fly tying thread and soaked it in super glue. After that it held great and shot the way it did before. I think it looks better than it did before with all the colors. There is some handshock but it's not unbearable and it still has decent cast.

Kyle