Author Topic: Card scraper  (Read 3471 times)

Offline magick.crow

Card scraper
« on: September 07, 2015, 07:50:42 am »
Which card scraper? Ebay special or something more? Does it even matter?
Do you want to square one or do you need the curvy ones too?
Thanks!
Douglas E Knapp

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: Card scraper
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 08:13:32 am »
Get the rectangle shaped one and the gooseneck (curvey) one. I use them both an equal amount. Learn to sharpen them properly. They should have a fine curl/burr rolled over their cutting edges with a burnisher. Such an edge will remove wood in long ribbons with long swipes with hardly any pressure applied.

Dean Torges describes the sharpening process well in his book, Hunting the Osage Bow.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 09:19:17 am »
Yes indeed, a rectangular and a gooseneck scraper both.  These are two of my most important bow building tools.  The next to last "Primitive Archer" magazine also had a good article on sharpening scrapers.  Learn to do it well and you'll have an efficient and valuable tool.  YouTube has some good videos too.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:24:25 am »
I bought a set of 4 from Lowe's, Home Depot or similar a few years back for about $10. It was a rectangular one, a goose neck, rectangular with a concave end and a rectangular with a convex end. I use the rectangular the most and the goose neck after that.
 When I get to floor tiller stage I use mostly the scraper with a little rasp work but once I'm at low brace I only use the scraper for tillering. When I started doing it this way my bent sticks became bows.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline magick.crow

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 10:26:31 am »
Thanks all for the answers.

So the company/quality is not that important?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 10:33:33 am »
My favorite scraped is a rectangular piece of old saw blade I got from Pappy. You'll want good carbon steel(or stainless I guess) so it holds a good edge like your favorite hunting knife. Even that knife will make a good scraper.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline magick.crow

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 10:36:29 am »
Truthfully, so far I have been using my mora kniv (great cheap knives btw) and it works well but I can't say if the scrapers are better having never used one. I am just listening to what the books and everyone is saying to use.
Thanks.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 10:40:28 am »
Don't worry about a fancy burnisher. I use a screwdriver with a big fat round shaft, I can lean on that nice and firm and raise a good burr.
Loads of videos on youtube on how to sharpen 'em.
I've done it with a file and on the belt sander... belt sander is quick if you have a fairly fine grit on there.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 06:58:52 pm »
The quality of the steel in your scraper does indeed matter.  It's like any other good cutting tool.  The better the steel, the longer the edge will last before you have to sharpen again.  The most important thing with a scraper is to get the edge square and sharp to the sides.  Once that is achieved, then you can roll a good bur.  The bur is like a small hook that shaves the wood.  Once you use a good, properly sharpened scraper, you will turn your nose up at lesser tools.  Highland Woodworking has a good rectangular scraper for about $8.00.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 08:13:20 pm »
I like the crown scrapers. Get the set of three and the burnishing tool.  Or you just use a screw driver instead of the burnished.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 08:16:09 pm »
I just use the blade part of an old hand plane, and it works like a charm. Might be a bit slow compared to some of the actual scrapers but the slower it is the less likely you are to mess up your tiller I think.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline magick.crow

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 04:21:29 am »
I am finding that they come in thick and thin. Which one should I pick?

Even more complicated; .6, .8 or 1 mm?

I think I am going with these.

https://www.kirschen-shop.de/3800006_Cabinet-Scraper_p3640239.html?action=cart_add&product=3640239
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 04:32:35 am by magick.crow »