Author Topic: Settle an argument please  (Read 2448 times)

Offline RBLusthaus

Settle an argument please
« on: August 19, 2015, 09:14:54 pm »
General rule of thumb - arrow weight to be between 8-12 gpp of the bow it is shot from. 

Q- does this gpp include the weight of the point itself?

Come on guys - do me right -  I got a nice bottle of Blantons riding on this one. 

Russ

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Settle an argument please
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 10:02:29 pm »
Yes, It is meant as a total weight of the finished arrow.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 10:14:54 pm »
Fred is right, it includes the entire arrow.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 10:34:24 pm »
But where did you get 8-12 from?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 11:30:41 pm »
I always thought 8-12 grains per pound of draw weight as a general rule of thumb, the range used to fine tune a setup.  Not sure where I got that from, but have been using it for years.  Are you sayin that it is not a good starting point for arrow weight? 

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 11:48:41 pm »
No! Im not saying that at all. If it works for you use it. I just dont hear much about people going so heavy with their arrows. 8-10 I see all the time but all the way to 12 is more warbow stuff from what I see.

Again, I was just shocked to see so much arrow weight but me being shocked means nothing other than perhaps I shouldnt pee on electric fences.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 01:13:18 am »
10 to 12 gpp is my normal setup. Reason being that I shoot a longer arrow  with a 28.5" draw and heavier tip weight.

Most full length cane and bamboo shafts that I use weigh in 350 to 425  bare and spine out between 50-65#.  By leaving them longer the spine is reduced but may have to add 160 gr up front on the heavier spine in order to get them tuned correctly for 45-55# selfbows with no cut in shelf.

Speed will be slower with the heavier arrow but not enough to worry about at my hunting distances.

Intent is to make sure they are properly tuned to the bow and my style of shooting.

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 07:01:23 am »
10 to 12 is about what I shoot for also in arrow weight, and yes total weight of arrow finished
is the answer to your question, ;) hope you win the bet.  ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 11:52:05 am »
I love your expression about electric fences, sleek.  I guess all those extra coats of finish I love to use is pushing my arrow weight up a bit, huh?

Thank you all for answering my question.  Yes, I win the bet.  I am sure my newly informed friend will not choose to sign in here and admit his mistake, but I am sure he is reading along -  so, to him I say, please drop the bottle off Fri evening before I get home from work.  HAHAHAHAHA.

Thanks guys. 

Russ

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 12:02:57 pm »
The typical parallel arrow woods make a 450-550 grain 28-29" arrow every time, with 125 gr points. Add the fact most of us shoot 45-55#. That lines up exactly with what 99% of you say you shoot, 10-12 gpp.

War bows are closer to 16-20 gpp. Correct me if Im wrong on that assumption.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 12:45:47 pm »
Well, I guess I will just shut up, sit back, and learn something then  :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 12:56:07 pm »
I've never weighed a war bow arrow, but handled plenty of them. They feel like an easy 1800-2200 grains to me. Maybe one of our war bow fella's will chime in. Inquiring minds want to know.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 02:36:10 pm »
A gentleman named John was shooting a 130# yew war bow at mojam this year and he said his 1/2" arrows weighed 1700 grains total with 750 grain points.   :o

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 05:39:41 pm »
Seems as though I shoot lighter weight arrows than most. I really prefer 8gpp. Mostly for a bit of increased speed.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 01:35:45 pm »
I was just reading Wikipedias article om arrows and saw this
"GPI rating[edit]
The weight of an arrow shaft can be expressed in GPI (Grains Per Inch).[6] The length of a shaft in inches multiplied by its GPI rating gives the weight of the shaft in grains. For example, a shaft that is 30 inches long and has a GPI of 9.5 weighs 285 grains, or about 18 grams. This does not include the other elements of a finished arrow, so a complete arrow will be heavier than the shaft alone."
This may be where somone got an idea from