Author Topic: quiet powerful pellet gun suggestion?  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Blackcoyote

quiet powerful pellet gun suggestion?
« on: August 20, 2015, 08:07:12 pm »
Anyone got a suggestion on a pellet gun, I've got a rabbit problem this year and the 22mag is too loud!
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: quiet powerful pellet gun suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 08:23:24 pm »
Jake has a Gamo Whisper. Its quiet'ish. But boy will it take out a yard intruder quick. You'll have to pop off a few rounds next time your over. See if you like it. Dad has another Gamo model, you can try that one next time we go there to net my next 5# bass :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 08:42:39 pm »
Hey Drew
I'd use an arrow................. :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 09:11:39 pm »
waskally wabitts
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 09:23:40 pm »
well,,,,,,,,I picked up a Benjamin np2  trail in .177,,,,,I'm loyal to Crossmsn  (same company) they are twenty Min's from my home,,, good employer,, great work force ,,,,,but   I am in love with this gun!!  its not too loud I say too close to the gammo to argue for us?  after some practice    I  can put five shots in a dime size circle  from  10 to 30 yards! from a sand bag rest from my shooting sticks maybe a quarter size and getting smaller  but since we are on the topic  ,,,,,,,,,, for anyone intrested please check  out  "Teds Hold Over"   and "Air gun nation"  I  have learned  so much  about shooting its crazy   hope this helps  Jeff W

Online sleek

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 10:07:46 pm »
I have one I love. I think its gammo but dont have it infront me to be sure. Came with a scope. Single pump break barrel, heavy black sythetic stock 1200 fps. Scary accurate. I can ding a coffee can at 100 yards all day with good ammo. I have also killed birds at the same yardage. Its like small calibre sniping. I love it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 10:24:42 pm »
I picked up a Gamo Shadow 1250 last fall. Killed the two rabbits I shot at.  I did put a better scope on it.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 11:50:06 pm »
I agree with the Disco Bear on using arrows.  Selfbows are pretty quiet.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 08:38:50 am »
alright I'll do some research on the Gamo and Benjamin!

Clint and Dbar I chase them enough with my bows after deer season, I just want them dead as wifey is on me about her landscape being ate up...and we got a new bird dog puppy so I don't wanna deal with breaking him of chasing rabbits!

Pearlie, you don't need a net now you have a better rod that can handle a 3# bass  ;D

Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 08:50:30 am »
The most accurate and quietest I've messed with has been my buddies Benjamin marauder. The only noise you hear is the trigger mechanism, because of its suppressor, and I've seen it group 5 pellets under an inch at 100 yards on a calm day. But it's big down side, it's outright expensive for an air rifle and its a PCP. So you will either need a scuba tank or a high pressure hand pump to charge it. The marauder takes a 3kpsi charge and is good for about 12 shots at hunting power before needing a recharge. Out past 50 yards I've seen that air rifle take down squirrels quicker than a 22lr does. Oh and his is a 22 caliber.

Kyle

Offline Marks

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 10:58:23 am »
There is some middle ground between pellet and .22 mag. Ive got some .22 subsonics that I used to condition my dogs to gunfire. They are significantly more quiet than a .22 and you wouldn't have to purchase a new gun if you already have a .22. I'm not sure how close your neighbors are though. I got a gamo and wasn't crazy impressed with accuracy but I think it may be my ammo.

Online sleek

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 11:09:52 am »
Do not shoot sub sonics out of anything but a pistol. They lack power enough to clear the barrel sometimes on a rifle.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 02:41:24 pm »
There is some middle ground between pellet and .22 mag. Ive got some .22 subsonics that I used to condition my dogs to gunfire. They are significantly more quiet than a .22 and you wouldn't have to purchase a new gun if you already have a .22. I'm not sure how close your neighbors are though. I got a gamo and wasn't crazy impressed with accuracy but I think it may be my ammo.

Agree, I'm big into airguns but a good .22lr subsonic in the 920-940 fps range ( I shoot Gemtech and CCI ) Is just as quiet as a breakbarrel but much more accurate and devastating.

You can look into PCPs and those are way more accurate, powerful and quiet than any break barrel, but expensive.

Here's a video shooting a hog with one of my .25 cal PCPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5-04nDd9ac

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 04:43:37 pm »
I've got a squirrel problem every year in my garden and although I live in the country my .22  is still too noisy for  my taste so last year my son purchased me an inexpensive Stoeger .177 cal X5.

Although it came with a decent scope I removed it preferring open sites for close range situations. Hell of a little air rifle if you're on a limited budget. I'm thinking it was around $150.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.