Author Topic: Glueing Fletching  (Read 1935 times)

Offline DC

Glueing Fletching
« on: August 17, 2015, 03:58:17 pm »
Up until today I have always glued the fletching to the bare shaft. I've noticed that the books say to finish the arrow and then glue the fletching on. Doesn't this compromise the joint because now you're depending on the bond between the coats of finish? Obviously it works because that's how the pro's do it but should I be taking extra care in how the finish is applied, at least in the fletching area?

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Glueing Fletching
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 04:05:53 pm »
I've always put three to four coats of Danish oil on my arrows and then attached the fletching with hide glue or Tite Bond 3, oh, I also wrap the front and back of the fletching with sinew or B-50. Never had any problems with the fletch delaminating from the shaft with either hide glue or Tite Bond. I don't know if the results would be the same if I sealed the shaft with Polyurethane.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 04:08:50 pm »
I wrap mine front and back too. How long do you let the Danish oil cure before you glue on the fletching?

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 06:36:11 pm »
Usually I let the Danish oil cure for two or more days before putting on the fletching. I figure the dryer the coating the better the chance that the glue molecules will bond to it and the shaft.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 08:34:45 pm »
2 or 3 whole days!! My impatience gene is kicking in. Thanks though ;D

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 08:58:27 pm »
It doesn't have to be that long but I do it for good measure, I've glued feathers to the shaft in as little as five hours after the last coat of oil was put on and they shot fine with no issues. Although they were target arrows and weren't really pushed and shoved around much.

Offline punch

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 09:10:25 pm »
The fastest way is to skip the glue and just wrap the feathers on.  I finish my arrows with paraffin wax.  Only takes a few minutes to put on then a couple more to wrap the feathers on.  Use a old hair dryer set on low to put it on.  I read a study by the Forrest service studying finishes for wood fences.   Paraffin wax dip was rated as the highest for keeping moisture out