Author Topic: new black powder project  (Read 13954 times)

Offline sleek

new black powder project
« on: August 17, 2015, 02:52:29 pm »
Well new is relative.... new to me that is. Its a 45 cal partiality tried ( id say complete but it all needs torn down redone and repaired in places...)  1940s kit. It didnt come with the lock. But I have a friend who forges damascus steel knives. Im gonna make the lock out of damascus. Never done this before but it should be fun.... and make me say a few oaths as well.... but what project doesnt? I have few clues as to the make of the kit, and will post pics later.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: new black powder project
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 03:38:33 pm »
Sounds cool!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 07:24:06 pm »
I don't know if they made a kits in the 40s, the earliest I have heard of was the old Dixie Gun Works kits but my knowledge is lacking in this area.

As for a Damascus lock, I have never seen one on any gun new or old. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the lock won't look right on the gun. Almost all builders pick a time period to replicate and try to use the correct parts for that style or period. For instance; a Germanic lock like a Siler on a Tennessee rifle would really look out of place, an English lock like a Ketland would be just right.

I saw pictures on line of a gun a guy built where he apparently like the striped ramrod look and decided to take a torch to his whole gun and proceeded to make his gun look like a barber pole with 2" wide black charred stripes. I thought "what a waste of good gun parts", the gun was an abomination after he "decorated" it.

When I asked him why he did it, his answer;"I like it", end of discussion.

If you do a good job on the gun, somewhere down the road you might want to sell it or trade it. Any anomaly with make this process more difficult.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:31:59 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 08:55:55 pm »
Sounds like a cool project to me. Challenging as heck but that makes the end rewards all that much more gratifying. I say go for it ;)
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 11:00:04 pm »
Eric, I have no idea beyond what a gunsmith told me about it at a gunshow. As for replicating a specific era, I dont care to. I understand and appreciate your opinion on the matter and see its validity. But im gonna build this for me. Being a Hawkins, I can say its a new style and get away with it. It will be a Hawkins original!  Haha....

Anyway, I love the look of Damascus and I intend to try my hand at this. After this one, im going to make probably two more. One that is a flint lock on one side, and percussion on the other. Never without an ignition source :) it will be double barrel. One rifled barrel the other smooth bore.

The one after that will be a percussion revolver rifle. Big bore too.... not sure what calibre yet. But I do know, I want Damascus steel in it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 11:55:48 pm »
Could you post a picture of what you have to work with? I know a little about these guns and could probably tell you what you really have. I suspect the gunsmith gave you some incorrect information.

Just guessing, I would say you have an early CVA kit if it is a Hawkins. It could also be a  a home built gun. In the early days, 50 and 60s, the information for building guns wasn't readily available and some pretty slopped up guns were made compared to what people make now.

The beauty of a correctly made gun is hard to beat. The link is for a guy who makes a  Hawkins historically correct with the added flair of very good wood and perfect construction, better than the originals that Samuel made.

http://www.carveretripp.com/hawkenrifle.html

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:01:35 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 04:26:48 pm »
Be an interesting prodject.. Let's see some pics of this bad boys raw beauty  >:D
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 05:10:32 pm »
Be an interesting prodject.. Let's see some pics of this bad boys raw beauty  >:D
Thanks Leroy

Oh it's raw alright!

I know a guy that does rendezvous. He makes the entire gun out of Damascus. But most of them are pistols! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 05:46:08 pm »
I should clarify an earlier statement.  I said, " being a Hawkins ". I ment me, not the gun. Hawkins is my last name. So, anything I do to this gun will make it a Hawkins original. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:34:25 pm by sleek »

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 05:58:33 pm »

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 05:59:05 pm »

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 05:59:33 pm »

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 06:00:15 pm »
I can not read whays written on the image above even with a magnifying glass. Oh, and the pic is upside down.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 06:56:45 pm »
Does it have a ramrod hole drilled under the barrel or is the last pipe stuck under the trigger guard original and all it has? Is it half stock or full stock? Don' t think it is kit, looks like a home built, some nice lines and some not so nice. I am almost leaning toward an original(1840-1870) that someone slopped up. The initialed inlay in the stock makes me think original.

Take a lot more well lit pictures and post it on the contemporary builders section at The American Longrifle and they will tell you exactly what you have. Be forewarned: if you have an original and tell them how you plan to alter it they will jump on you like you are planning to paint a mustache on the Mona Lisa. 

They like close up pictures of the lock mortise, barrel and tang from the top down, nose cap, entry pipes, a full length  shot, and trigger guard close up from the side and bottom and of course the side plate with the letters on it.

Does the barrel have any names of initials on the top flat? Any proof marks near the breech top or bottom as well as  a barrel manufacturer name? Does it say "black powder only" anywhere on the barrel (modern manufacture).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:35:13 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 08:01:55 pm »
It has no stamp or etching at all on the octagon barrel. The ramrod tube is not drilled, rather mounted under the stock and between the trigger guard and stock as you see. The stock does not extend the full length of the barrel.